Band Marches out New Show

Drum majors Jenna Brannaman and Chelsea Wallace lead the marching band to their halftime performance Sept. 11. Photo by Sam White.

By Maggie Dale
On Friday, September 11, the Mustang Marching Band trooped onto the football field under the direction of a new leader for the first time this year. Scott Weber, Mount Vernon’s new high school band director, started two weeks before school began.

“So far he’s an amazing marching band teacher,” said sophomore clarinetist Jeana Konkowski. “I think he’s a great guy, and gives really good emotion-filled pep talks.” Mr. Weber had 14 years of experience teaching band before coming to Mount Vernon.

“I like him,” agreed Sammy Edwards of the color guard. “I liked the performance.”

A lot of preparation went into the performance. Similar to the football team, the band has been practicing for weeks. On the day of the game, they ran through the performance multiple times during their early bird class. At the field that afternoon, the band sang the banana song. Freshman Haley Hepker explained that the banana song was taught to them by junior Jenna Baumler. “It’s a funny song to loosen us up before we perform,” Hupker said.
Konkowski said that the banana song gets them in a good mood. “The pep talk helps, too.,” she said. “Then we go rip up the field. Bam!”

The marching band performs Sept. 11. Photo by Sam White.

The band made their first appearance when they marched onto the field to play the National Anthem before the Northeast Rebels versus Mount Vernon Mustangs game. They returned to the field at halftime for a Journey/Beatles medley. The melodic notes of “Don’t Stop Believing” mixed with “Magical Mystery Tour” as the band members smoothly transitioned into different formations. Jenna Brannaman and Chelsea Wallace led the band as the drum majors. Afterwards, the applause echoed through the stadium.

“The drill was pretty good,” said Edwards. “The timing could use a lot of work.”

Konkowski thought the forms “weren’t super good, but that is to be expected as it was our first show. As a whole it was pretty good. The worst part was probably when I ran into Allie, another clarinetist, twice. I think that the best part of it all is being part of band, being kind of a musical family.” This was the first time the band completed the opeing set on field in the first week of practice.

The marching band planned a halftime homecoming show that was rained out. They found out right before the game that their performance was canceled. “Some of the instruments have padding. If they get wet it will ruin the instruments,” said Hepker.

Color guard member Rebecca Edwards performs with the band Sept. 11. Photo by Sam White.