When the Player Becomes the Coach

By Abby Gross-

Class of 2012’s Christa Winders was welcomed back with open arms to the Mount Vernon volleyball game even though she was wearing the other team’s colors.

Christa Winders
Christa Winders

Tuesday, Sept. 9, Mount Vernon hosted their first home game of the season against Beckman Catholic of Dyersville. Even though the team plays Beckman every year, something was a little too familiar about their coaching staff this time around. Former varsity defensive specialist(DS), Christa, was their new freshman and assistant varsity coach.

Returning to Mount Vernon brought back some memories of playing for the team said Christa. Along with being a DS on varsity she had been a libero her whole high school career.

“I was glad to see their success in the program,” said Christa. “ They’re very good coaches.”

Christa has been coaching Intensity(Beckman’s club team) for the past two years.  Looking at her team’s success and how much the girls love her; the Beckman coaching staff offered her a position to coach at the middle school level. Later, they came back with a second offer to coach their freshmen team. She enjoys coaching for Beckman but her overall goal would be to return to Mount Vernon and continue coaching there.

“I would love to do that,” explains Christa. “It would feel like home, plus I’d be closer to my family.” Her overall plan is to apply for special education and coaching jobs at Mount Vernon High School once she gets her degree in speech pathology and communication disorders.

Sophomore Kaitlyn Volesky gets one past the Blazers Sept. 9. The Mustangs won in three sets. Photo by Claire Pettinger.

Even though Mount Vernon won  3-0 over Beckman Tuesday night, the coaching styles are very similar throughout both teams. Serve and serve receive are some of the basics that are critically covered with both sets of coaches. Christa said even though there are some similarities between the team their situations are different and adjusting to those are just her part of being a coach.

Head coach, Maggie Willems, has now contacted Christa about possibly coaching a club team for Mount Vernon this coming winter. She has yet to make her final decision on the subject.