Mount Vernon Falls to Solon

Senior Emma Cochrane spikes to ball against Solon Sept. 4. Photo by Claire Pettinger.

By Taylor Sherman-

Four games, two rival teams, and some great volleyball were the ingredients of the Mount Vernon versus Solon volleyball game Thursday, Sept. 4. With Solon ranked 1 and Mount Vernon 2 in Class 3A, this game was crucial on both sides of the net.

Solon protected their rank by winning 3 out of 4 games that night. Although the Mustangs started off strong with a quick lead, it was short-lived once the Spartans got into the groove of the game, resulting in their first win of the night, 25-19.

Mount Vernon varsity player Regan Kelley, a junior, said, “As a whole we played well in the first game keeping our intensity up, but as the games continued our communication died.”

During the second game, Mount Vernon put up a fight, but the final score was 25-13, in Solon’s favor.

Sophomore libero Libby Ryan returns a serve against Solon Sept. 4.  Photo by Claire Pettinger.
Sophomore libero Libby Ryan returns a serve against Solon Sept. 4. Photo by Claire Pettinger.

After a quick break, the rivals returned to the court with new hope and intensity for the third match. As the game progressed the crowd’s intensity became overpowering, roaring at every point. The Mustangs gained an early lead of 15-9 at the first time-out, and later sealed the win with a kill by Emma Cochrane, ending the match 25-23.

In the 4th and final game of the night Solon and Mount Vernon entered the game with confidence and focus. Once again Mount Vernon took the early lead, but as the game progressed their team chemistry and communication evaporated, resulting in their defeat. Solon triumphantly took the lead and finished the game with a winning score of 25-15.

Abby Gross, senior on the Mount Vernon varsity volleyball team, after the match said “We have room for improvement. It is the beginning of the season, but we still have some kinks we need to work out.”

Senior Jorge Pena carries junior Mickey Hines to lead a cheer for the blackout-themed Mount Vernon crowd in the Solon gym Sept. 4.