2014 Homecoming Court Announced

Homecoming events:

Parade (line up at 6 p.m. at elementary school, with step off at 6:30 p.m.) Thursday, Sept 25 with coronation and powderpuff football to follow.

Homecoming game Friday, Sept. 26 at 7:30 p.m.

Schedule for Alumni Awards and Homecoming Assemblies
Friday, September 26, 2014

Early Bird 7:15 – 8:00 am
Period 1 8:30 – 9:06 (36 min)
Assembly 9:10 – 9:52 (42 min)
Period 2 9:56 – 10:32 (36 min)
Period 3 10:36 – 11:12 (36 min)
Period 4 11:16 – 11:41 – A lunch (25 min)
11:45 – 12:21 – A class (36 min)
11:16 – 11:52 – B class (36 min)
11:56 – 12:21 – B lunch (25 min)
Period 5 12:25 – 1:01 (36 min)
Period 6 1:05 – 1:41 (36 min)
Period 7 1:45 – 2:21 (36)
Pep Rally 2:25 – 3:06 (41 min)

HOMECOMING COURT. Front Row: Lexy Kroeger, Abbey Teubel, Kate Lynott, Lucy Conroy, Courtney Maddocks. Back Row: Tyler Kranig, Ryan Ackerman, Jorge Pena, Tristan Rud, Grayson Snyder.

The Mount Vernon Community School District Alumni Association is pleased to announce the following alums have been selected as 2014 Alumni Hall of Fame winners:

Achievement: Lindsey Borg, Class of 1983
Fine Arts: Paula Holcomb, Class of 1972
Service: Myrt Clark Bowers, Class of 1957
MVCSD Community Impact: Ann Koppenhaver, Class of 1978
Athletics: Greg Randall, Class of 1982

Achievement Award Winner Lindsey Borg’83 was nominated for this award by his father, Dean Borg. Lindsey’s career has combined journalism, governmental strategic communication, academic learning and teaching at the nation’s most prestigious universities, as well as deployment to the most dangerous combat environments in the world.

Lindsey is a communications professional with a diverse background in public affairs and policy, corporate reputation and issues management. For more than 25 years he has served political, governmental, military and commercial clients with strategy development, crisis planning and response, Congressional, civic and media relations, and employee engagement.

Lindsey rose to the rank of colonel in the United States Air Force before retiring from active duty in 2011 to pursue professional interests. He is the director of integrated communications for Raytheon’s Intelligence, Information and Services business.

Before joining Raytheon, he led corporate international communications for Lockheed Martin. He also led corporate communications and operations for Strategic Social, a provider of audience analysis and communication strategy.

During his 21-year military career Lindsey, gained extensive international experience as he led communication for organizations of various complexities. He directly advised the NATO commander during the alliance’s operations in Kosovo and later helped to lead communication efforts from Pristina. He also served as NATO’s spokesman to the international community concerning the contentious issue of depleted uranium munitions use. In addition, he earned the Bronze Star Medal during a one-year deployment to Baghdad where he led communication efforts to prepare for and conduct the country’s pivotal 2010 elections and the withdrawal of U.S. forces. Lindsey also directed public affairs for the Air Force’s global mobility organization and led a team of Congressional liaisons for the Secretary of the Air Force.

Prior to earning his commission as an officer, he gained communication experience in the White House Press Office during the Reagan Administration, at CNN’s Washington Bureau, and in the Iowa governor’s office. He also held newspaper reporter positions with three newspapers.

Lindsey is a former fellow at Harvard University’s Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs where he researched and published a paper on the Department of Defense’s efforts to build strategic communication processes. He earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in journalism and mass communication from Iowa State University, a Master of Arts degree in human relations from the University of Oklahoma, and a Master of Military Art and Operational Science from Air University. In addition, he completed specialized communication and Congressional affairs seminars at The Wharton School and Georgetown University.

In high school, Lindsey was a four-year, three-sport athlete as a member of the football, wrestling and track teams. He served as his class’ vice president and as the president of his local and county 4-H clubs. Although athletics were the focus of his extracurricular time, as a freshman he played the saxophone in the marching band and sang in the chorus. He also was on stage as part of his senior class’ performance of ‘Annie Get Your Gun.’ Lindsey also was an exchange student to Japan through the Iowa 4-H Clubs. A year later, his Japanese host was a guest in the Borg home

His wife, Deb, is a graduate of Cedar Falls High School and Iowa State University. They have two sons.

Fine Arts winner Dr. Paula Holcomb’72, was nominated for this award by Jean Kuntz Bowman’64, who says Paula ‘was very impressive in a broad range of fine arts endeavors during high school, and has used this as the foundation for a career full of stellar academic and professional accomplishments’.During high school Paula’s fine arts activities and awards included All-State Band (2 yrs), All-State Orchestra (1 yr), student director for a play, State Speech, member of many honor bands and recipient of superior contest ratings in horn, voice, chamber ensembles, speech etc.

Dr. Holcomb says “As I reflect, I realize it really did take a village to get me out the door! From the extraordinary Lois Kopacek coming to my home to work with me as an accompanist and teacher, Ken Smykil teaching my first lessons, Don Stine as my high school director, and Lois Nichols as an amazing choral director, I was fortunate to work with gifted musicians/educators. Beyond the music department, from Mrs. Davis and Norton to Mr. Ringgenberg and Craig, each molded me into the person I am today. Regardless, please know that Mount Vernon Schools are world class!”

Dr. Paula Holcomb is currently Director of Bands at the State University of New York at Fredonia. Dr. Holcomb conducts the Wind Ensemble and musicals, and teaches graduate and undergraduate conducting. Additionally, she initiated the conducting program as part of the Master of Music in Performance. She has been at State University since 1999 after serving in a similar position for 20 years at Central College in Pella, Iowa. Under her direction at Central College, the Symphonic Wind Ensemble and the Symphonic Band toured internationally to Canada, Europe, and Mexico and performed at Alice Tully Hall of New York City’s Lincoln Center. At SUNY Fredonia, the extensive band program consists of four concert bands.

Highly sought after as an adjudicator and guest conductor, Dr. Holcomb has conducted bands and orchestras in 42 states, South America, China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia, Mexico, Europe, and Canada. She has presented Conducting Symposiums in Hong Kong, China, Europe, Canada, South America, Australia and the United States. Dr. Holcomb is former assistant horn of the Des Moines Symphony and past president of the Iowa Music Educators Association. She received the A. Frank Miller award from Kappa Kappa Psi, served on the Council and Artistic Planning Conference Committee for the World Association of Symphonic Bands and Ensembles, served on the board of the Conductors Guild and was Northeastern Division President-elect of the College Band Directors National Association. Among her current research, Dr. Holcomb is currently gathering a collection of materials for future publication of a ‘Guide to Successful Ensemble’ and ‘Verbal Rehearsal Techniques of Exemplary University Wind Conductors.’

Paula received her Doctor of Music in Instrumental Conducting from Northwestern University, and her undergrad and masters from Drake.

In high school Paula was also senior class president and in the National Honor Society.

Service winner Myrt Clark Bowers’57 was nominated for this award by Leona Reyhons Smith’56. A long time Mount Vernon resident, Myrt has a solid and varied history of service to both the Mount Vernon community and Iowans. Myrt retired at age 75 following 53 years of career accomplishments as a Professional Nurse. For 40 of those years, Myrt made a difference in the healthcare of Eastern Iowa residents through outstanding nursing practice. She started a second career at age 62 and spent 13 years creating and implementing a holistic model of “Aging in Place” for senior citizens.

Mryrt attended 9 years at a rural one-room school and then 4 years at Mount Vernon High School. She says “My professional journey was successful due to the outstanding educational program lead by quality and caring teachers (at Mount Vernon Schools)…they provided me with the foundation to be a persistent learner. Among these I learned to understand the importance of hard work, collaboration, and community involvement..” She graduated from St. Luke’s School of Nursing in 1960 and received her Bachelors of Nursing in 1990.

Myrt’s 36-year nursing career at St. Luke’s Hospital in Cedar Rapids included a variety of leadership roles, with her last 8 years as Vice President of Patient Care Services. She has received the Voluntary Hospitals of America Board of Nursing leadership award and was a 2010 recipient of the ‘100 Great Nurses of Iowa’ award.

In Myrt’s second career she served as executive director at Witwer. Under her leadership the organization achieved the Magnet Certification as a Meals on Wheels provider (which was the first in Iowa to achieve this certification), and also secured a HUD Grant of $295,000 for new Senior Center Kitchen and Dining Room. Myrt became certified as a trainer for three national evidenced based health education classes for senior citizens, the “Matter of Balance”, “Brunch for the Brain”, and “Living Successfully with Chronic Conditions”.

Myrt has always found time to volunteer. While at St. Lukes, she also served as a Board member on the Witwer Senior Center (which led to accepting the position of Executive Director for 13 years). Myrt has been recognized for her service to the Linn County Board of Public Health President for 6 years, by Cedar Rotary for Community Service Award following the City of Cedar Rapids Epic Flood 2008 flood, and her leadership in fundraising over $480,000 to recover lost contents due to the flood, was awarded the Linn Nichols Leadership Award by The United Way of East Central Iowa, received a Certificate of Appreciation for work on Aging by the Older Iowans Legislature, served 6 years as a member of the Mount Vernon City Council, and co-lead an initiative with Lisbon and Mount Vernon citizens to organize a vote to merge both school districts which failed to pass.

Myrt has served on a number of community boards including: Abbe, Inc Board, Abbe Center for Community Care, St. Luke’s Child Protection Center, Voluntary Hospital of America Board of Nursing, State of Iowa Nurse Executives (President), Iowa Senior Center Association-President, Cedar Rapids Ambulance Association, United Way of East Central Iowa, and co-lead Community Policy Committee for the Blue Zones Project of Cedar Rapids.

In high school Myrt was active in school activities such as drama, state speech, and all school sport event planning. She was President of Junior Class and responsible for planning Junior-Senior Prom for classes 1956 and 1957, achieved academic honor roll status throughout four years, was Homecoming Queen 1956, and achieved academic achievement 5th of 48 class students

MVCSD Community Impact winner Ann Koppenhaver’78 was nominated for this award by both her father Don Koppenhaver, and her classmate Cynthia Deskin Halbmaier. Ann has lived in Mount Vernon all her life and is an alum who was active in school, settled in Mount Vernon, is a certified public accountant who has practiced in Mount Vernon since 1987, raised a ‘Mustang’ family, and is an active member of the community. Ann says “I have always supported the school district and feel it is important to the Mount Vernon Community. I do encourage others to devote time and talents to this worthy cause! My children attended K-12 at Mount Vernon and I am proud of the education they received.” This award rewards an alum for their service impact on the Mount Vernon Community, either in school or post-high school, for any purpose, and service may be in a non-compensated or a compensated capacity.

Among Ann’s service to Mount Vernon Schools, she has served on the Foundation Board since 1996 and has been President of this Board since 1999. An active member of the Booster Club she is involved in selling of advertising and the design and update of programs for athletic events. She has been a presenter for the kick off of the Fine Arts annual fruit sales — one time as a bunch of grapes and another time as a nut. Ann has worked along side her significant other, Mike O’Brien, in several school improvement projects including the complete reconstruction of the softball field, the 8th grade pond and bog, and currently with the Save The Fields campaign to update the football field and bleachers. You will find Ann in attendance at most school events.

Through her business Koppenhaver and Associates, Ann donates the preparation of tax returns for the School District Foundation, and was instrumental in encouraging her family members to make a sizable, combined financial donation to the new high school, which resulted in the kitchen being designated the ‘Koppenhaver Kitchen.’ She also purchases advertising to support athletic and fine arts programs, is a gold sponsor for the year book, and an advertiser in the Alumni Newsletter.

In the community, Ann is a past president of the Mount Vernon Chamber of Commerce and past chair of the Heritage Days Committee.

In High School Ann was was involved 4 years in basketball, theater, choir and Mouseketeers, on the honor roll and was football cheerleader. She was involved 5 years in softball, 2 years in track, was an All-State Thespian, was honorable mention All-State in softball and 1st team Conference in Softball.

Athletic Hall of Fame winner Greg Randall’82 was nominated for his award by fellow alums Paul Hufford’80 and Eric Siggins’82. Local sports historian David Ryan’85 states, “Randall’s NCAA wrestling and NCAA coaching career have been stellar. Interestingly, he is known in wrestling circles as an early inventor of the ‘take ‘em down and let ‘em up’ wrestling style that is still prevalent today. People forget that not only was Randall one of the best wrestlers in SE Linn County… he was a blue chipper and considered one of the best in the nation coming out of high school. Randall went on to be a 4-year starter at The University of Iowa and a three time All-American, competing for a wrestling team that won 3 NCAA Titles during his time there. After college, he competed internationally and in the Olympic/World Trials. You can compare all you want, but very few MVHS athletes have ever competed at the level Greg Randall has. He was an incredible athlete….one of the finest in MVHS history!”

In high school football, Greg was named 1st Team All-EIHC Conference Linebacker in 1981. In wrestling, Randall was a four time EIHC conference champion and four time Class 2A state champion: 1979@98 lbs with record of 28-2-2, 1980@112 lbs with record of 32-1, 1981@126 lbs with record of 33-0, and 1982@132 lbs with record of 27-0.

Greg was the State of Iowa’s 5th four-time state wrestling champion. His 96.0% high school winning percentage (120-3-2) is the best all-time in school history, a record that has been untouchable over the past 32 seasons. At the University of Iowa, Greg earned three NCAA All-American awards — placing 2nd in 1984, 5th in 1985, and 2nd in 1986, all at 134 lbs for the Iowa Hawkeyes with career record of 109-26-3.

In 2008 Greg was inducted into the Iowa Wrestling Hall of Fame. In his bio for this induction Greg says:
“My (high school) coach, Tim Johnson, was good at scouting and when I met someone who was good on the mat he would tell me to do that,” recalls Randall. “One of my most memorable matches I wrestled was in the semi-finals at state against the number one ranked kid in the nation. I was a freshman and I beat the tar out of him 25-5. My strength was wrestling from my feet so we took advantage of it.”

Three more state titles followed for Randall who went 120-3-2 over his high school career. At the time the technique met with mixed reviews from fans but Randall stressed that he never wanted to embarrass his opponent. “I always respected my opponent, I wanted to dominate but I also realized that you had to go for the pin when it was there,” he recalled.

Randall credits his parents for the success he enjoyed as he recalled starting wrestling in second grade at a Mount Vernon club tournament. “My dad taught me to give it 110% all the time. That was the way I was brought up. He would take me to tournaments no matter where and he told my to have fun and give 110%… and Mom was the one who did the driving.”

One of those earlier little kid matches also helped shape the character of Randall. “I was eight years old and had to wrestle a kid from Cedar Rapids who was a year older. I was nervous but I pinned him. He jumped up after the fall and gave me a hug and said ‘great job.’ He showed me sportsmanship is number one and to handle losing just like winning.”

Randall recalls feeling the pressure of being the fifth wrestler in the state’s history to win four state titles. “I used the pressure to my advantage. I thrived on pressure… the more pressure the harder I worked,” he said.

Success followed Randall into college under coach Dan Gable at the University of Iowa. Randall was the NCAA runner-up at 134 pounds in 1984 and 1986 while placing fifth as a sophomore. Competing on the international level in 1989, Randall captured the gold medal at the Pan American games. he was also a runner-up at the U.S. Open Nationals, and placed second at the 1989 U.S. Olympic Festival. Randall also served as an assistant to Gable at the 2003 World Cup.

Greg is currently an 11-year coach for Boise State’s wrestling program. There Randall has established himself as one of the top collegiate coaches in the country. He has led the Broncos to the top of the Pac-12 Conference four times, to go along with six top-25 finishes at the NCAA Championships. In his eleven seasons since being promoted to head coach, Randall’s teams have finished in the top-three at the conference tournament nine times, while taking home 26 individual Pac-10 titles.

In 2007-08 Randall earned his first Pac-10 Coach of the Year award, which came in part to his team’s dominating performance at the league championships. Boise State scored the third-highest Pac-10 tournament score in history with 152.5 total points. With the win the Broncos also sent nine wrestlers on to the national tournament, which was highlighted by Kirk Smith’s eighth-place finish at 184 pounds. A year later, Randall would repeat as Pac-10 Coach of the Year, winning the conference championship and crowing six individual champions. In 2006 Randall guided his first NCAA individual champion as a head coach with Ben Cherrington capturing the national title in the 157-pound weight class.