Meet Our Foreign Exchange Students

By Laura Deininger:

Lene Gurvig
Age? I am 16- soon to be 17!
Where are you from? I’m from Denmark in a city called Aarhus which is the second biggest city in Denmark.
Who are you staying with? I’m staying with Ryan and Angie Steen.
What is your family like back home? Mom? Dad? Siblings? I have a mom and a dad named Karen and Frank. I have 2 siblings, a twin sister and younger sister who is 12 years old. They are named Mette and Helle.
Why did you come here? My mom was an exchange student in the U.S. when she was younger and had a great year! I wanted to experience it.
How do you like America? It’s great!! I really love America.
How is it different from your country? The language is different, no public transport, the food, almost everything!
What are some of the things you have done here? I have been to the Iowa State Fair and an Iowa State football game. I went shopping with Laura and to the 1 Direction movie. I have also been boating with my family.
Favorite part of America? I like Laura, Charlie, Maddy, Miranda, Emily, Logan, my host family, and Dairy Queen.
Least favorite part of America? My least favorite part was not having a phone for the first 2 weeks.
Expectations you had about America? I thought that everyone would be fat!

Fanelly BidonPeltier
Age? I’m 17, 18 on October 20th.
Where are you from? I’m from Angers, France. Angers is situated 2 hours from the Atlantic Ocean and 3 hours from Paris.
Who are you staying with? I am staying with Emily Gearhart’s family!
What is your family like back home? My parents are divorced. I live with my little sister Ilena in my mom’s house during the week and in my dad’s house during the weekend.
Why did you come here? I came here to be bilingual and because your school system is pretty cool! In France it is too serious, here you can have fun at school.
How do you like America? Extremely so far. It’s exactly what I imagined. Even better.
How is it different from your country? It’s different in so many ways. Food is different, school system is different, people are different… Everything is different.
What are some of the things you have done here? I went to a college football game, UNI against ISU, and it was so much fun! I already love American football.
Favorite part of America? No hesitation, California! So many things to do and so many big towns to visit!
Least favorite part of America? I don’t think I have a least favorite part of America… Alaska maybe. It’s too cold.
Expectations you had about America? I thought the majority of Americans were fat… And I obviously was wrong! I also thought the Americans ate lots of junk food and this time I was right!

Our foreign exchange students Lene Gurvig,Fanelly BidonPeltier, Svea Rittershofer, and Kira Blumentritt pose together Sept. 5. Photo by Steve Brand

Svea Rittershofer
Age? I am 16.
Where are you from? I’m from Wiesbaden, Germany
Who are you staying with? I am staying with the Sullivans.
What is your family like back home? Mom? Dad? Siblings? I have two brothers, 20 and 23, and a mom and dad.
Why did you come here? I love America.
How do you like America? I like it here, it’s pretty quiet
How is it different from your country? There is a lot more silence here, a different school system, and a different way to live.
What are some of the things you have done here?  I went to the Minnesota State fair and I have auditioned for the school play.
Favorite part of America? America 🙂
Expectations you had about America? I expected a lot of fat Americans.

Kira Blumentritt
Age? I am 15.
Where are you from? Germany
Who are you staying with? Mackenzie, Mukesh, Susan and Steve Maurice
What is your family like back home? I have a mom, dad, and brother who is 12 years old.
Why did you come here? To experience the American life and improve my English.
How do you like America? It is different, but I love it!
How is it different from your country? The school is different. You don’t have a bus and passenger train transportation so you go a lot by car.
What are some of the things you have done here? We watched a football and a baseball game. We usually don’t have that in Germany.
Favorite part of America? You have Taco Bell. That is awesome!
Least favorite part of America? I don’t know. I think I like everything about America.
Expectations you had about America? That you eat a lot of fast food and junk food and it is actually true 🙂