Take 21st Century Journalistic Writing

By Jake Durgin-
I believe that the new class, 21st century journalistic writing is a great class. If you are looking for a challenge, and want to experience a new style of writing, this class would be a good choice for you. In this class you’ll will write a variety of different types of stories including a column, like this one. Journalistic writing is a great class that everyone should take.

So far, this class has been very beneficial. I feel I have grown and improved as a writer. One thing that I’ve learned through writing a feature story, is how to interview. I have learned that it is hard work to get the information you are looking for. I have also learned how to write, and phrase questions to get the responses that I would like. I have also written a sports article. Through that I realized how difficult it was to write while the action is going on, and how to get the facts across without boring the readers. We’ve also read a very famous novel, In Cold Blood, that is an entire new genre that we had never seen before. This book is a journalistic novel. In this style of writing, a true story is written like a fictional novel. Reading is a great way to learn and improve as a writer, and we not only read In Cold Blood, but we are now reading another book of the same genre.

Many people may argue that taking this class is not a good choice because it prevents you from taking other literature class, but they’re wrong. This class is just as good, if not better, because not only do you experience new styles of writing that require a lot of new skills, you also read a lot. Because of this combination of reading, writing, and new learning, journalistic writing is a great class.

This class teaches you how to be straightforward, and get your point across. This new style of news writing that we’ve learned makes you know what is important to the story and what is just extra. This is important, because often times you will need to just get your point across and leave out all the extra things that are not significant. Overall this class is very fun and beneficial to any student that decides to take it.