Vending Machines

Debating adding vending machines to Mount Vernon High School

The students of Mount Vernon need at least three vending machines within the building due to the student population. Currently Mount Vernon highscool has no vending machines accessible to students. Vending machines would provide snacks and food throughout the day to both staff and students, it would provide another way to make some money, and overall just be a nice addition to the day.

Many students throughout the day get hungry and need something to snack on, especially athletes because they spend a lot of energy working out or having practice. While some may argue that they could bring snacks from home, they don’t really consider how much extra responsibility comes from packing multiple snacks. I mean, they have a backpack to pack, a body to clean, get ready for the day, potential homework, breakfasts to eat, families to talk to, and more. This isn’t just athletes, it’s all students. There’s also the factor of taking early bird classes which shorten time to get ready in the morning too. The point is, packing a snack doesn’t have to be a burden if there are machines to provide that. Having a beverage is equally important, because there is always a possibility you forget your water bottle. These needs would all be met if a vending machine were available.

In terms of some extra money, this could help the school out financially. Now, the vending machines before we operated through other companies like Pepsi, therefore Pepsi got the money. But, let’s say that students throw fundraisers or use the profits from Snacks sold in classrooms to buy our own vending machines. The school would then be authorized to keep that money and use it for more snacks, repairs, and even other items our school might need. If kids could buy food or beverages, the school would have to restock the vending machines all the time. Currently, everyone pretty much goes to Casey’s to get snacks and such. Numbers pulled from Stable conclude that in October of 2023, $47 were made, in November of 2023 $176 were made, in December of 2023 $648 were made, and in January of 2024 $47 were made. These are pretty decent values that would quickly add up to fund these machines, but this also goes to show that students are in fact interested in snacks provided by the school.  Instead of an establishment like Casey’s having our money or class time, the school could

So what does having 3 vending machines look like?  Well, one would be solely for fun snacks like chips, candy, crackers, and more. Another vending machine would be for soda, water, and . energy drinks. The third would house protein snacks/drinks, fruit, juice, granola bars, and other healthy snacks. In reality, having the healthy foods machine provides a healthy eating option, which is why they originally stopped providing fun snacks and drinks to begin with. This way, no one can say the school isn’t providing a healthy option or teaching good eating habits.

In conclusion, having 3 vending machines would really benefit our school population due to the convenient snacking, financial gain, and an added nice factor to the average day at Mount Vernon High School.