Arrangements Made to Cheer for Volleyball at State

The Mount Vernon volleyball team will begin state tournament play on Thursday at noon against Davenport Assumption in the Cedar Rapids Ice Arena. School will dismiss at 11 a.m. at the high school and middle school buildings to allow students to attend, but class will go as usual at the elementary Thursday. Students can order a box lunch TODAY (Nov. 2) paid with school lunch accounts to eat on the way to the game. The box will contain a ham sandwich, an apple, a granola bar, chips, and a milk.

Activities director Joe Wallace will be selling tickets before school from 7:45 – 8:15 a.m. in the lobby of the high school from Friday, Nov. 2 to Wednesday, Nov. 7. Tickets will also be available in the office for the remainder of those days. The cost of the tickets are $8 each. Bring exact change if possible, or write a check payable to Mount Vernon High School.

The team beat the West Liberty Comets 25-20, 25-14, 25-23 at regional finals on Oct. 30 held at Jefferson High School. Mount Vernon won the state championship in 2009 and 2010, but were defeated at regional finals last year by Grundy Center.

Below is a slideshow of images of Regional Finals Oct. 30 taken by junior Ashley Shultz:

MOUNT VERNON STATE VOLLEYBALL TEAM. Front Row: Amanda Petrick, Rina Amundson, Chelsey Schirm, Marissa Stark, Chelsie Minor, Kate Lynott, Lily Dahlstrom. Back Row: Morgan Melchert, Jenna Reimann, Emma Cochrane, Alli Platte, Hannah Whitley, Claire Pettinger, and Madison Hawtrey.