Is This a Marathon or Girls Soccer?

By Karissa Benter-
After two overtimes and two rounds of shootouts, the Mount Vernon-Lisbon soccer girls came out with a win against Dewitt Sabers Thursday, May 3 at DeWitt. The Mustangs,with four injured starters sitting on the bench, struggled.

The Mustangs celebrate after a marathon win against the DeWitt Sabers May 3. The girls went into double-overtime and two shootouts before winning 3-2. Photo by Karissa Benter.

With the score still 0-0 after the second overtime, it came down to five kickers against the goalie on each team. In the first round of shootouts, senior, Haley Rusk, the fourth of five kickers from Dewitt scored her shot. Sophomore Hannah Bradbury was last of the Mustangs to shoot, and kept the team in the game with her shot. With the score one to one, the Sabers still had one more player that could take the lead but she was no match for Mount Vernon’s junior goalie, Chelsie Minor, as she blocked the shot.
Lauren Gross makes the final kick in the second shootout of Thursday's game against DeWitt to win the game 3-2. Photo by Karissa Benter.

The game then went into another shootout. The teams again had to pick five different girls and wait patiently for their turns for kicks on the goal. Sophomore Marci Nielson of Dewitt, was up to shoot and ready to get one in, and she did exactly that, putting the Sabers ahead by one point.

Mount Vernon senior Kristy Minor and junior Lauren Gross showed they were ready to end the game by making their shots leaving the field with a victory of three to two.

“When the last PK ball landed in my hands and we won was a great feeling,” said Mount Vernon’s goalie, Chelsie Minor, “I feel confident in how the season is going and how the team has come together and I believe this year will be our best season yet,” she said.

“I think we fought hard to make it into overtime and the team that wanted it more, won it,” said assistant coach, Delaney Krisel, of Mount Vernon, “We are ready to move ahead into our next games with this momentum.”

The girls will continue their season with games next Tuesday, May 8, against Beckman away and again on Thursday, May 10, against Regina away and again Friday, May 11, against Solon at the home field.

Macy Rice (10) controls the ball during the game against DeWitt Thursday. Photo by Karissa Benter.