Spotlight on Blake Heeren

Spotlight on Blake Heeren

By Kindra Ockenfels-Houghtaling-
From about the time he could walk, junior Blake Heeren has been playing soccer. He has always loved the game and it was something his dad had shown him when he was young. He had fun with his friends who were also involved in it and it was something he and his dad could do together. When he was younger he was a goal keeper and he grew into being a midfielder and forward. In addition to soccer, Blake also plays football and would like to see if he could do a dual sport in the spring, playing both soccer and golf.

When Blake is preparing for a soccer game, he likes to spend time alone to clear his mind and listen to “pump up” music. “He plays very competitively and aggressively,” said friend and teammate Eric Dunford, sophomore.

Blake said the most challenging part would have to be the footwork or having enough endurance. “I give 110 percent,” said Blake, “and when a goal is finally scored, I see the lights. It’s a beautiful moment.”

Blake would love to continue with soccer and hopefully get a scholarship in the future. For him, soccer requires a lot of individual work, and being very determined. His advice to anyone aspiring to improve their game would be, “Anytime you can, get out and kick a ball or run.”

Blake has learned to look forward to all his games and doesn’t have a lot of pregame jitters. He said, “There’s nothing you can do about people getting angry. You just have to move on and make it better.”

Blake’s love for the game is what keeps him going and it’s something that he’s good at. “If you really like a sport, it doesn’t matter what other people say. Just play.”