Spotlight on Conner Shaffer

By Alex Hale-

What is a brotherhood? “A brotherhood is where two dudes with different last names join together and become best bro friends,” Conner Shaffer a junior at Mount Vernon High school said. Conner has a brotherhood with Spencer Drahos that never struggles. “Times never get tough with Spencer,” Conner said.

Their brotherhood started when Conner was in fourth grade and Spencer was in third grade. Troy Davidson said that their brotherhood “reaches way back to their childhood.”

“After school in elementary school we would walk home and play games together,” Conner recalled. They lived next door to each other, so they could walk home together. A lot of the time they would go to Spencer’s house, make a snack, and then play some games together.

Spencer said that when their brotherhood began it was “love at first sight,” and Troy said that “when Conner moved here, from day one they were perfect for each other.”

The fact that they are practically the same helped their brotherhood get off to a good start. Some activities they do together are watching “Cops” and “Shark Week” together, play sports together (they enjoy playing football and basketball together now), play videogames together, chill out, and drift. They do more together, but lots of it is confidential, according to Conner. They allow Troy Davidson to take part in some of their brotherhood activities. “My favorite is playing football at Davis Park,” Troy said.

The rules of their brotherhood are to love each other unconditionally, never fight or disagree, and enjoy each other’s company. Conner’s favorite part of the brotherhood is having a guy to talk to that has common interests, and Spencer’s favorite part is the love. On a scale of one to ten (ten is the highest); they agreed that their brotherhood is an eleven. Another nice part of having a brotherhood is when they are going through a rough time and they need someone to talk to.

“Brotherhoods last lifetimes,” Conner said. “Our kids and grand kids will carry on the brotherhood after us.”

Having Spencer is almost like having a twin for Conner. They could be twins because they like so many of the same things, they do a lot together, and they wear some of the same sports numbers. Conner has Spencer as a younger brother and Kyle Shaffer as a older brother.

Before the brotherhood started they didn’t know each other very well. Conner had only been around for about a year and they hadn’t had much time to get to know each other. But ever since then, they have been best friends with a fun bromance.