Spotlight on Andrew ‘Swiss’ Smith

By Haleigh Ehmsen-

The reduction of college scholarships for students who commit to the National Guard has caused one student to alter his post high school plans.

Senior Andrew “Swiss” Smith has decided to go into the army after college. He originally wanted to go into the Iowa National Guard but with the growing number of students enlisting in the National Guard, scholarships have been cut.

He will receive more scholarship if he goes into the army after college. Military service is expected in Swiss’ family. He has always planned on going into the military and following in the footsteps of the males in his family. “[Enlisting in the military] is expected, but I want to do it,” Swiss said.

Although the army doesn’t seem to have as many benefits for Swiss, he will receive a larger scholarship if he enlists. The main difference between the Iowa National Guard and the Army is that the Army defends the US, while in the Iowa National Guard it focuses on more local service, like natural disasters. In the Iowa National Guard would be unlikely that Swiss would leave the state. In joining the Army, Swiss could be sent out of the country.

Swiss understands the reason for the decrease in scholarships for the National Guard but he also believes, “It’s taking away from education.”  Many students enlist in the military to get their college tuition paid for and with less tuition money the program may detract potential candidates to enlist.

Swiss is still unsure where he’ll end up next year but it’ll be either UNI or the University of Dubuque. After that, it’s up to the Army.