Kolker Balances Swimming and Soccer

By Lauren Hauser

As an athlete, the off-season is spent preparing for the upcoming year, but for junior Zach Kolker, off-season is also in-season. Kolker shares his time between swimming in the pool and blocking shots on the soccer field.

In the winter, Kolker swims competitively as a member of the Cedar Rapids Washington Swim Team. When swimming ends in February, Kolker begins his role as the goalie on the Mount Vernon soccer team. “I like doing soccer because of the people in it,” said Kolker, “I’ve done it my whole life and it’s a nice change of pace from the usual swim season.”

During swim season Kolker attends morning and night practices almost every day. The early morning routine from the winter makes it easy for him to swim two mornings a week during soccer. Although he is still swimming in spring, two days a week still doesn’t seem to be enough for Kolker. “It is tough because I can feel my stroke falling apart each practice,” said Kolker.

Although Kolker plans to swim in college, he still continues to fulfill his important role on the soccer team. “Zach is the vocal leader on our team. As the goalie it is his responsibility to communicate what he sees,” said soccer coach Kevin Murray.

Kolker has a total of 90 saves this season as the goalie. The Mustangs next game is Tues. May 1 at Anamosa. 

Goalie Zach Kolker catches a shot from Marion on Apr. 6. Photo by Lauren Hauser.