Mustang Volleyball Defeats Anamosa   

The Mustangs won in 3 sets over the Anamosa Raiders Sept 19. Photo by Kendra Streicher

Story By Kendra Streicher

The Mustangs won in 3 sets over the Anamosa Raiders on Tuesday, Sept 19. The Raiders were 5-5 and the Mustangs were 3-1, so odds were in the Mustangs favor at this away game.

The sets ended up 25-13, 25-18, 25-18, with junior Rory Light leading the team with 11 kills. Light explained what makes her hits so successful: “I just need a good set, and then I need check to see where the block is so I can avoid it,” she said.

The setters, junior Ella Brase and senior Bailey Sullivan, had 27 assists combined in this quick game that lasted a little over an hour. The team also had a total of 11 aces, and 6 blocks.

For the last 10 years, the Mustangs have defeated the Raiders, and were hoping to keep the streak going. “We were determined to win in three sets,” Light said.

Coach Maggie Willems has been training the Mustangs so they were ready to take on Anamosa. “We’ve been using statistics to anticipate their prefered hitters and offensive system,” Willems said.

Now they are getting ready to face

their next opponent, Dewitt, in their game on senior night, Tuesday, Sept. 26. “We are expecting Dewitt to have improved since it’s the middle of the season now,” Willems said.