Reserves Team Shines in the Spotlight

Garrett Welch, Coach LaFollette, Sayre Pollock, and Jordan Axtell

By Austin Ash

The Mount Vernon Boys Basketball Varsity Reserve team lost a heartbreaker to the Clear Creek Amana Clippers 45-39 on Feb. 11. The Varsity Reserve games give players a chance to play who don’t get as much playing time in the varsity games.

The Mustangs were led by Sayre Pollock, the 6’4 senior, played hard into the final horn sounded. Pollock had 11 points, and also had 7 boards. Pollock had a strong take to the basket, made the shot, and was fouled in the first half to spark the Stangs.

“My favorite part about these games is we get a chance to show all of the hard work we have put into practice,” said Pollock, who has worked extremely hard over the years to improve his game. “My favorite player to play with would have to be Jordan Axtell. The kid plays extremely hard and tries to get other people shot opportunities,” he said.

The heart and soul of the team is 5’6 senior, Jordan Axtell. Axtell, had the other team biting their fingernails after a couple of pull-up jumpers to start the second half. Axtell chipped in 7 points and also had many nice passes to get his teammates easy shots.

At one point in the second half the opposing coach was screaming to his players “Eyes on 30! Eyes on 30!” This is Axtell’s number. The opposing coach knew they needed more than one defender to guard Axtell, as he was leaving defenders in the dust.

The Mustangs had another player in double figures, junior Garrett Welch. Welch came out hot right after the tip-off as he scored the Mustangs first 4 points with strong drives to the basket. He finished with 10 points and added a couple steals and rebounds.  

The Mustangs have no more varsity reserve games left this year, but these boys keep helping the team by practicing hard and making everyone else better. “All of this guys come to practice every day with the mindset to make us better. All of the players on the team appreciate these guys a lot. They know that when we win, they contribute just as much as anyone else does. They act as the opposing team very well and make us tougher every day,” said Cale Snedden, varsity player for the Stangs.