Two Is Better Than One

By Paige Zaruba

“I can’t imagine not having a twin because we do everything together. It keeps you busy and entertained,” said Zach Krogmann.

Twins Zach and Jeremy Krogmann are senior student-athletes at Mount Vernon. They both play basketball, and run cross country and track. Since third grade, Zach and Jeremy have played basketball together, starting in Parks and Recreation, and currently on the Mustang varsity team. “It’s cool because we’ve been on the same basketball team forever, so getting to play with him at the varsity level is a lot of fun,” said Jeremy.

“We’re very competitive,” said Jeremy. “We expect a lot out of each other, so sometimes it makes it hard in sports, but sometimes it helps a lot. We both get very upset at each other when the other does something wrong, so in practice and in games it gets a little heated sometimes. It helps because it sets a bar; you can’t slack because we both know what each other is capable of doing.”

Both Zach and Jeremy are posts for the Mustangs. “We definitely make each other better because I don’t like when he messes up, and he doesn’t like when I mess up,” added Zach. “We’re a little bit mean to each other sometimes, but it’s good for us.”

Senior Zach Krogmann shoots a free throw at the basketball game against Vinton-Shellsburg. The Mustangs won the game 54-40. Photo by Paige Zaruba.

The Krogmann twins are almost always together. Zach said, “I think it’s pretty cool. Not a lot of people get the chance to play and compete with their siblings. I think we know each other enough to know when someone’s putting in all their effort and when they’re not. We hold each other to a standard, so if one of us is not playing well the other gets on them.”

“I love that I have someone to share it with and talk about it with. It helps us be competitive,” said Jeremy.

Senior Jeremy Krogmann goes up for a shot at the basketball game against Anamosa on Dec. 9. The Mustangs won the game 63-39. Photo by Paige Zaruba.