JV Gets First Season Win Over Camanche

The JV team huddles during the game against Solon Aug. 26. Photo by Jan Moore.

By Drew Adams

The JV Mustangs shutout the Camanche Indians Monday night to pick up their first win of the season. Mount Vernon with an 0-3 record went into game day with a “can’t lose” attitude. “It was a great win to get us back on track,” said Mustang sophomore quarterback Kolby Volesky.

The punters from both sides were on the field often in the first quarter as each team went scoreless. It wasn’t until the second quarter when things started to get going. Volesky was able to find one of his favorite targets Zach Baker on many occasions this quarter. The freshman duo of Volesky and Baker were able to march into Camanche territory late in the half. With the ball on the 14 yard line Voleksy fired a pass, intended for sophomore receiver Detrick Vondracek. The ball was deflected at the line of scrimmage and intercepted by an Indian player. With 95 yards to go and one minute on the clock, Camanche quarterback fumbles the snap into the endzone. He was able to recover it but the Mustangs’ defensive line was piled on top of him for a safety. They went into halftime ahead 2-0.

Just like the first half, the second half took a quarter to heat up. The scoring started when Baker’s number was called once again on a sweep to the outside. This gave the Mustangs a 9-0 lead. They got the ball back in no time when sophomore safety Ryan Clark intercepted a pass around midfield. This led to an Ike Appleton touchdown run with 2 minutes to go in the game. The Mustang defense came up big yet again with a pick six from sophomore defensive end Tucker Dickson. The score sealed the 23-0 win for the Mustangs.