Fairies Defeat the Unicorns

“I want to win!” This was the only thought running through senior Taylor

As teammates cheer her on, Senior Taylor Sherman runs the ball during the powderpuff game Oct. 1.
As teammates cheer her on, Senior Taylor Sherman runs the ball during the powderpuff game Oct. 1. Photo by Sydney Hauser.

Sherman’s mind as she prepared herself for the 2015 powderpuff game. High School girls of all grades take part in a vicious, hair pulling, nail breaking competition in hopes of coming out on top.

Community members and students past and present fill the stands to watch who will win the bragging rights. “I love the whole town coming to watch during homecoming week!” said Sherman. Unfortunately the game which is traditionally played during homecoming week directly following coronation had to be rescheduled due to lightning. But that didn’t stop the loyal fans from coming back  to watch the game Oct. 1. The Fairies, consisting of seniors and sophomores, faced the junior and freshmen Unicorns.

Although it was a slow start, fans were able to watch a very exciting game. Senior Quarterback Annie See began completing pass after pass to her teammates including senior Kennedy Wirfs.

Sherman also had important runs that allowed her to score points for the Fairies. “It was an awesome feeling scoring a touchdown,” said Sherman. “ Everyone gets excited about something that you accomplished.” Everything was clicking for the dominant Fairies.

“We had really good team chemistry,” said senior Maggie Babcock. “Communication was also a key factor in the win.”

However it was a tough night for the Unicorns. They battled hard but they were not able to put any points on the board.“It was hard to adjust to new coaches,” junior Rory McCollum said. “The Fairies were just an overall better team.” The Unicorns also had to adjust to new players.

Freshman Quarterback Sammy Moss mentioned it was a rough game, but she enjoyed it and plans on coming back next year.

When the clock hit 0, the seniors had their final powderpuff win. The Fairies defeated the Unicorns 18-0. Practicing and being familiar with the plays and positions helped contribute to the win. Next season, this year’s juniors are planning on getting one final win. They encourage others to participate in this exciting and fun game too!