More Kids at Mount Vernon Should Play Lacrosse

Running down the field at full speed, zooming past defenders. You spot your teammate open, and launch the ball towards them. They catch the ball, and shoot low into the goal, right as the time ends. The crowd in the stands erupt in excitement, as you and all of your teammates run to get your goalie. This is just a small amount of excitement that you would see while playing the game of lacrosse. 

More people at Mount Vernon should play the game of lacrosse because of how fun it is, why it’s similar to other sports, and the usage of teamwork. 

The sport is very similar to field hockey, and basketball because of the intense running back and forth on the field. While some rules are different between the boys and girls aspects, both have most of the same rules to play.  Each team will have ten people on the field. Three defenders, three midfielders, three attackers, and one goalkeeper. (This aspect is very similar to soccer). And it’s most similar to hockey. The main thing that is special about these two is that players can go behind the goal, as long as they don’t cross the goal line. Lacrosse is also very similar to hockey because of substituting players. Unlike other sports where there is a set time to put in new players, lacrosse puts people in on the fly. Lacrosse uses many aspects of other sports. More people at Mount Vernon should play lacrosse because they may have experience with some of the other sports. 

Some people may argue that lacrosse is not important in the Midwest, because it’s more of a common sport on the east coast. While this information is true, lacrosse is also an up-and-coming sport in the Midwest. In recent years lacrosse has become more and more popular, here in Iowa. There are many teams in the state with both boys and girls teams. This includes Ames, Des Moines, Ankeny, Walulkee, and others. There are also many club teams, for example, Kingfisher Lacrosse based in Solon. 

Lacrosse also builds teamwork and needs all different types of people. As mentioned before, there are ten players on the field. Because of the rules, defenders and offensive players typically have to stay on their respective sides, and midfielders travel up and down the field. Defensive players need to be aggressive to make sure the other´s offense doesn’t score. Offensive players need to be able to catch the ball and weave through other players to score. Midfielders need to be able to run fast to bring the ball up and down the field. And of course, the goalie needs to be able to stop the ball from making it into the net. Everyone at Mount Vernon can fit into one of these requirements and will be able to play well. 

While lacrosse may not be for everyone, it may be for you. The sport uses many different aspects of other sports such as hockey, soccer, and basketball. The sport is also growing at an accelerated rate in the state of Iowa, and you could be a part of an inaugural team. And finally, it builds teamwork. You can’t play the sport on your own. This is why everyone at Mount Vernon should play lacrosse. 

If you are looking to join a lacrosse team close to home, Kingfisher Lacrosse in Solon is the right team for you. They have both boys and girls high school teams, as well as middle school and elementary. Both are traveling teams and typically play in Des Moines on the weekend. If you want more information on how to join, the link below will take you to their website. 

https://cr-ic-lacrosse.leaguemanagement.usalacrosse.com/