Homeroom For Everyday

Dylan Robinson

Through the 2021-2022 school year, we had WIN time, a short 20-minute class to help students get schoolwork done. However, during the 2022-2023 school year, the high school administration decided to drop WIN time so we could have longer class periods.
Originally WIN time was used for students to get prepared for classes, meet with teachers, make up school work or tests, and social interaction. However, the MVHS administration felt as if it was unnecessary and decided to drop it for the following years and opted to make class periods longer.
Currently, the only time students can make up work or get prepared is before and after school and during lunch on normal days. In addition, on block days, students are given 30 minutes of homeroom time to get prepared, meet with teachers, and makeup work for the whole week. This is an issue because we only have a combined one hour to do all of these things in one week, and these issues tend to go into the following week.
Many students would benefit from daily homeroom meetings due to the fact many students are behind in their classes and don’t have the time before or after school to make up said work due to after-school activities and work or simply don’t have the means of travel to make it home without the use of school transportation.
In conclusion we students believe that we should get homeroom back for normal school days to help those students who need more time at school to get work done and meet with teachers. Many other schools have adopted homeroom into their normal bell schedules, preferring to have it at the beginning of the day or the end of the day.