Why Our School Needs a Pool

Mount Vernon High School needs to build a pool for many reasons. These include convenience, physical health, education opportunities, social development, and enhanced school reputation. 

Mount Vernon High School students who participate on the Washington swimming team have to travel 23 minutes when they could just have to walk down the hallway. This will provide convenience because these students won’t have to leave school early for practice and also won’t have to spend as much money on gas. 

Building a pool encourages physical activity. Swimming is a great form of exercise, and by building a pool we would be giving students access to improving their physical health. Having a pool can be not only beneficial to those competing in swimming but also to those with different fitness levels looking for low-impact workouts. The school could open the pool and provide swimming lessons and aerobic classes after school hours. 

Having a pool can increase education in the school. By having a pool the school could offer a water safety class. This class could include swimming lessons, lifeguard training, water safety, and so much more. These classes could also aid in teaching students about marine life which may increase student’s interest in an aquatic career path. 

Team swimming can build school morality and encourage team building. Being a part of a team teaches important life skills such as teamwork, discipline, and perseverance. Also, swimming can be very relaxing. This can help students unwind and de-stress aiding in a clearer mind for school. 

A pool could only be unsafe if left unlocked when unattended. In order to keep a safe environment while also being able to have a pool, the doors must remain locked. Another way to keep a safe environment is to never allow any kids to free swim without an adult supervisor around with no exceptions. 

Building a pool is something we should really consider implementing in our school district because it would be very beneficial for things such as convenience, physical fitness/health, education opportunities, social development, and enhanced school reputation.