Spanish Club Visits Chicago

By Corinne Lee-
On Dec. 9, three of the MVCSD suburbans departed with 21 students and three adults to Chicago on an overnight trip for the high school Spanish Club. Students went to see a play focused on immigrants and the stereotypes placed upon them. According to Spanish teacher Sue Deibner, the show, “Crossed,” was an original piece written and performed by Teatroluna, Chicago’s Pan-Latina Theatre Company founded to showcase the creative talents of Latina, Hispana, and/or Pan-Latina artists. She said that themes of the play included racism, immigrant rights, misconceptions about minority groups, and class.

Front Row: Sue Deibner, Emma Conroy, Rachel Engel, Erika Belding, Paige Ford, Erica Ledger, Emily Pickel, Aubrey Lyon, Bea Thorton, Sara Lyon. Back Row: Kaylee Eyerly, Matisse Christensen, Hannah Ganzel, Alex Bell, Sam Smith, Gretchen Oelrick, Hannah Bradbury, Isabel Light, Katelyn Baumler, Haley Smith, Sydney Pratt, Katy McCollum.

After the show, the students went to eat at the famous Rain Forest Cafe. They stayed the night at Embassy Suites.” It was really nice, and the breakfast was huge!” said freshman Sara Lyon. The next day they went shopping for their holiday gifts at the Water Tower Place, “We spent three or four hours there and it was really busy” said Kate Baumler.
On Saturday afternoon, students went to explore the Day of the Dead exposition at the National Mexican American Museum of Fine Arts where they saw a fine collection of Ofrendas honoring and celebrating the lives of Hispanic people from the local area, and around the nation. Mrs. Deibner said that the permanent collection educated our students on the history of Mexico and Mexican Americans in our country.
To end the trip in Chicago, everyone went to La Cebollita, a Mexican restaurant, to enjoy a delicious meal that many said was the best Mexican food they had ever eaten. Overall, the group enjoyed the voyage. “It was amazing!” said freshman Sydney Pratt.