Club Volleyball Players Compete in St. Louis

Rachel Axtell

Sophomores Mazie Rubner and Camryn Ellyson play in a club tournament on Feb. 18.

By Rachel Axtell

Over the President’s Day weekend many club volleyball players were busy down in St. Louis, Missouri. The competitors had the opportunity to play at America’s Center Convention Complex over the course of three days. This large tournament consists of at least 200 teams with challenging competitors from a variety of age groups.

Mount Vernon High School has a handful of athletes who participate in an outside club team, where they can receive extra practice and instruction from different coaches. “Playing on a club team is such a fun experience and I love making new friends,” said sophomore Mazie Rubner. Most of the athletes that play on a club team are with a variety of different organizations.

Rubner along with sophomore Camryn Ellyson play for the Iowa Rockets in the 16s age group. Their team went 5-3 this weekend, placing 1st in bronze.  “My favorite part was when we were down 6-12 in a third set and won,” Ellyson said.

With some free time on the first day, Rubner and Ellyson’s team also went to an escape room. “It’s so important to bond with your teammates outside of the gym since most of us don’t go to the same school,” said Rubner. “Team chemistry is such a big part of volleyball”

Sophomore Madison Cranston spent her weekend playing for Adrenaline Volleyball Academy, alongside teammate sophomore Dani Pitts. Their team went 4-4 over the three days, placing 25th overall in their age group. A big part of club is learning how to overcome your challenges with your teammates. “My team was struggling a lot the first day, not winning a single game,” said Cranston. “We made some changes and came together and ended up winning the rest of our games during the tournament.”

Another player that participated this weekend included sophomore Jorie Randall, playing for Iowa Rockets 17s age group. “My favorite part was spending more time with my teammates and becoming closer, ” said Randall. Randall’s team went 5-4, placing 13th overall.

All the athletes that competed this weekend will continue playing their club season through June with multiple tournaments along the way, hoping to reach the goal of Nationals in Indianapolis over this coming summer.