A ‘Hole’ Lot of Fun

By Maggie Davis

You’re probably familiar with the stigma that golf is just a pastime for retired men and Miami vacationers, but for Mount Vernon sophomore Nick Lengwin, it was love at first putt.
Lengwin was just a fifth grader when he first saw his sister play golf, and that was when he decided to give it a try. By sixth grade he had his own set of clubs and was playing with friends and family. However what started as a simple pastime quickly became a passion as he discovered a knack for the sport.

As a freshman, Lengwin joined Mount Vernon High School’s golf team, and by the end of his first regular season, found himself ranked number one in JV.
But Lengwin isn’t just golfing for glory, in fact, one his favorite parts of a golfing meet is getting to know guys on other teams, and just having a good time. Lengwin said his biggest surprise in taking up the sport of golf was that “it’s a really mental game,” and “you play the course as well as yourself.” He explained that the course itself is a challenge, but your mentality and focus can also affect how you play.
Lengwin also pointed out that golf isn’t necessarily as simple as some people may think it is, since the different courses each offer unique challenges.
Living near the golf course between Mount Vernon and Lisbon offers ample opportunity to get in a few holes, which Lengwin takes full advantage of, practicing three to four days a week in the summer, and every day during the season in the spring. This schedule clearly supports his ambitions to be a permanent varsity member this upcoming season, as well as state champions as a team this year. The team was runner-up last year.
Before competing in a meet, Lengwin said he tries to focus on a smooth and relaxed swing, and anything he may have been struggling with recently in practice. He explained that he takes the meets seriously, however not so much that the fun goes out of it. “Golf is definitely the most mental sport I’ve ever played,” said Lengwin. “It’s like any other individual sport-if you make a mistake, it’s all on you.”
But Lengwin doesn’t let the pressure get to him. He fondly recalls the last regular season meet of his freshman year, located at the Amana Colonies golf course. Lengwin finished with a score that placed him not only best in JV, but second best overall, surpassing five of MV’s varsity team members.
Despite his success in competition, one of Lengwin’s favorite stories takes place on Mount Vernon’s Kernoustie course, just playing with some friends and his brother. The group was taking trick shots off a wall near the putting green, when one of Lengwin’s friends pulled out a wedge, a club designed to make the ball go higher. In a split second his buddy’s golf ball was flying towards the clubhouse window, thankfully missing it by a few inches, although Lengwin recalls it did leave a nice mark that can still be seen.
For Nick Lengwin, golf is more than just a hobby. The sophomore has played on courses all over Iowa, as well as Illinois and Washington state–not to mention his success in the WaMaC meet as a freshman. It’s easy to see why he enjoys something that comes so naturally.
Lengwin’s advice to any aspiring golfers is to simply try it. “You may not be good at first, but when the weather’s nice and you’re out with friends, it makes for a great way to spend the afternoon.”
Lastly, Lengwin gave his thoughts on those who turn up their noses at the sport of golf. “If you say it’s too easy, you obviously haven’t tried it yet.”