Physical Education Classes Should Be Equal

By Jenna Brannaman

Senior Kate Elsbury lifts weights during earlybird P.E. on Dec. 11. Photo by Jenna Brannaman.

On a particular Friday the regular physical education class enjoyed playing an intense game of wrestling room dodgeball, however, early bird PE had to struggle through a laborious, 15 minute circuit workout of medicine ball throws, carries, sit-ups, and runs.

Early bird PE and regular PE classes are polar opposites. PE classes during the day get to have tennis tournaments, badminton matches, and kickball games outside whereas early bird PE would be in the gym at 7:15 a.m. doing burpees, box jumps, wall walks, and even kettlebells.

All students who participate in early bird PE have to take weekly assessments online and journal every workout, both counting towards their PE grade. The assessments are short but they are just one more thing added onto their already full schedules. As if the assessments weren’t enough, they have to journal about their workouts every day. These journal entries need to include what the workout was, including repetitions, time elapsed, and their rate of preserved exertion. In order to get full points they also have to write a detailed paragraph on how they feel about the workout, our effort, and our progress.

From cross fit workouts in early bird PE to badminton games in regular PE, the difference between the two classes are night and day. People in early bird PE feel like they are being “punished” for having a full schedule by having a more difficult PE class. Starting the day with a difficult or unenjoyable workout does not set up students for success.

The students in early bird PE don’t receive much motivation from weightlifting every other morning for a whole quarter in the stuffy, spiritless weight room. When it’s nice out we should be making use our school district’s great campus by walking or running it. There are also two practice fields behind the MS that would be great for a game of soccer or kickball.

There is no need for us to be put through vigorous workouts when others are competing for the title in a tennis tournament. If one class plays dodgeball the others should play dodgeball, and if one class weightlifts the others should weightlift. The PE teachers should eliminate the difference between the two PE classes by treating each class equally.