Macbooks for High School

Macbooks are better than Chromebooks

Slow, clunky, and unable to hold a charge are all qualities belonging to our school’s Chromebooks. These laptops cause nothing but problems for high school students. If we upgraded to Macbooks these problems could easily be solved.

Apple claims that Macbooks possess “The fastest performance, latest features, and reliable battery life.” This is what students need. Many people already bring their Macbooks from home to use for school work because of the Chromebooks’ poor quality. Why is it that teachers are provided Macbooks, but not students? Although they don’t have them anymore, there was once a point in time where even middle school students had Macbooks but the high school students had Chromebooks. With the overload of homework and potential online classes, high school students deserve something better. Online sources point out that “Chromebooks do not have the latest processors. They also generally come with about 4 GB of RAM, which is half the amount of a standard laptop.” This means that Chromebooks physically cannot store as much data/memory as Macbooks.

Chromebooks constantly have to be taken to the library to get looked at or swapped out due to technical failures. An issue the library and tech crew experience often is damage to these devices. A lot of students look at the Chromebooks as cheap and replaceable, leading them to take not so great care of them. Shattered screens, missing keys, stickers over the camera and mics wouldn’t be as big of a problem with Macbooks. By providing students with Macbooks, they may look at them with more respect. Considering the price of Macbooks students could be less likely to want to treat them poorly.

Macbooks for high school students is a great idea. Better computers for students, and less work the library staff have to deal with.