Mustangs Win First Game on New Field

Lily Rechkemmer
Seniors Jackson Jaspers, Miles Francois, Evan Brase, and Joey Rhomberg walk onto the field Sept. 29.

Mount Vernon had a magical night Friday with a massive win over the highly-ranked Assumption Knights in our brand-new complex. The final score was 24-7, with one of the key players of the night, quarterback Joey Rhomberg throwing for 172 yards and had 1 touchdown.

The student section knew they were in for a good night as it was a white-out theme. “White-out has to be the best theme so far this year!” junior Gavin Plathe said.

The Mustangs came out with a very strong defense. Miles Francois, a senior on the MVHS football team said, “For the game, I was expecting a very tough game from a great team. The coaches had given us the game plan and we went out and executed it to the best of our ability and won that game. It was ours from the very first whistle and we just have to continue to go out onto the field every day knowing that we will give our all and leave everything we have on the field.” 

The Mustangs’ defense was electric, only allowing one touchdown in the second quarter of the game. 

During half-time MV students also had another first on the new field. It was the first time that the marching band had performed in front of a crowd. The whole night the crowd was loud and into the game. 

“It was great, it’s nice to have a place that we can really call home since we haven’t ever really had a home field,” junior Ethan Wood said. 

This puts the Assumption Knights to a record of 4-2 and bumps the Mount Vernon Mustangs to 5-1 on the season, bringing the Mustangs back up to number seven on the power rankings for 3A football.