JV Volleyball Beats Independence

Senior+Jordan+Bleile+sets+the+ball+on+senior+night+
Ashton Mullis
Senior Jordan Bleile sets the ball on senior night

Mount Vernon High School JV volleyball girls competed throughout the night to pull out a win against Independence. The completed sets at 21-7 and 21-9. Sophia Meester started off their 6-0 run in the first set with a kill. 

The first set for the Mount Vernon Mustangs was very well played. They held Independence to just 7 points in the first set. “Our defense was pretty good overall– we went after everything and had some really good plays,” said senior Jordan Bleile. 

The second set started off slow but started to pick up during the middle of the set. Once Mount Vernon got a good lead Independence had to take a couple of timeouts to reset. First time at 10-5 and the next at 14-5. Once the timeouts ended the Mustangs continued doing what they know they can do and ended up with a 9-0 run. 

The second match ended with a kill from Sophia Meester, a sophomore outside hitter, giving Mount Vernon a 2-0 match win. 

The Mustang’s energy throughout the game was a very crucial part of their game. Everyone supported each other success. “It can be hard to keep the energy up throughout a game but I thought we did a nice job with that this game – We are happy with what each other did.” Says senior Jordan Bleile. 

The Mustangs’ offense was solid with a total of 14 kills. Freshman Sophia Meester with a total of 7 kills. The Mustangs also collectively as a team had 7 aces. Addison Gookin with a solid 4 of the 7. 

After the Mustangs’ win against Independence, they changed their record to 5-1. The JV team wrapped up their season for the year on Tuesday night.