Sounds of Mount Vernon

Noah+Webster+
Brynley Rasmussen
Noah Webster

Walking from heel to toe to his spot on the field for the halftime show, he takes those last few deep breaths to calm his nerves before the show begins. He takes a quick look at the crowd to take it all in. Suddenly the crowd gets quiet for the band to begin, and Noah Webster lifts his saxophone, ready to play.

Webster, a junior, has been involved in band since the fifth grade, but started marching band when he came to the high school three years ago. Music has always been a big part of his life. “Everybody in my family has been in the marching band,” said Webster. Webster is following in the footsteps of the rest of his family by being a part of a band. His older brother played the trumpet, his mom was involved in marching band, and when his grandfather was younger he would put a band together and play all sorts of music.

Webster plays the tenor sax in jazz band, marching band, and concert band. He enjoys playing jazz the most just because of the type of music they play.

The marching band has gone on many trips throughout the years. In Webster’s high school career he went to Washington, DC and Chicago to play in parades. When the band was in DC they had to perform in the rain. “There is a common occurrence that we have had very good performances in the rain,” said Webster. The DC performance was one of the best performances that they had because of how well they played in the rain.

Webster’s favorite trip was DC. “We were there for a whole week and got to go do all the touring and stuff like that,” he said. The band got to spend a lot of time with everyone and it was a bonding experience. In Chicago they went and performed at the parade, but were only there for a day, so all they did for the day was the parade. That is why Webster liked DC more.

Webster’s favorite thing about the band is how supportive everyone is. “The community around the band is great,” Webster said. Being the upperclassmen in a band makes it so all the little kids that are just starting out, are looking up to you.

There are not a whole lot of things that Webster doesn’t like about band. “The only thing I could think of would probably be early bird – Not horrible but I would say that is the worst part,” said Webster. He has to wake up around 6-6:30 to make it on time. Not a lot of kids like waking up early, especially for school.

Webster would like to continue his journey with band in college if possible. If he is given an opportunity he will gladly take it. Webster is going to keep following in his family’s footsteps and continue his journey in band.