Not All Heros Wear Capes

Blaise Anton
Blaise Anton

By Madelyn Steen
When the word ‘superhero’ comes to mind, most people probably call up a picture of a man in tights, his cape billowing like a sail behind him. They’d picture an epic battle scene, a super villain with mind blowing powers, and the always prevalent damsel in distress.

But most people forget the real life heros of society. These men and women often go unnoticed; their average, uneventful jobs fading into the background. Not many would think of an unassuming junior walking the halls of the high school as a hero.

Meet Blaise Anton, age 17, born and raised in Mount Vernon, Iowa. Anton has been working for two years as a lifeguard at the Mount Vernon Swimming Pool.

He started off the Feburary of his freshman year. “I wanted to have a summer job that would be outside, and work with people that I knew,” Anton said, “So, I took a lifeguard class.”

The 20 hours it took to complete the course was spread across a few days. Anton spent most of his time watching informative videos and listening to instructors explaining the “perfect rescue”. His technique was tested with a few staged rescues, as well as a final test at the end.

That same summer, when the class was all said and done, Anton turned in an application to city hall, and after a quick interview with manager Katey Sanders, began his first day at the Mount Vernon Pool.

“I was nervous,” Anton said, “It’s a lot of responsibility, but I was still really excited.”

Now, after 40 hours a week during the summer and 20 to 30 once school starts, Anton is a pro.

The average day shift starts at 12:15 with a thorough cleaning and setting up of the grounds. Umbrellas are put up, trash cans are placed in their designated locations, and rescue tubes are made sure to be ready and operational.

When people begin to arrive, Anton and his fellow lifeguards begin their hour shifts sitting on top of the stands, waiting and watching. Ready in an instant to pounce into action.

“It’s a lot of time just sitting in a chair,” Anton said, “so focus is definitely an issue.”

Making sure you’re always paying attention is not the only problem. Anton also works during school. From 3:45 to 8:30, he’s back on duty, so balancing his time between school and work until the pool closes for the year becomes extra difficult.

It’s not all work for the lifeguards, however. During free time, Anton likes to sit and chat with his colleges, like Zach Kolker, a sophomore at Mount Vernon.

“Blaise is really fun to work with,” Kolker said, “and he’s really entertaining.” After closing, Anton, Kolker, and their fellow lifeguards love to jump off the diving boards, or just horse around in and around the pool.

As fun as closing time is, Anton also enjoys the annual dog swim. On the Tuesday after Labor Day, every year, the pool’s gates open up to Mount Vernon’s furry population. Dogs of all sizes and ages come to have a splash during this all day activity. Though most of the day, Anton spends his time circling the pool’s perimeters checking for poop, he thinks it’s really fun to watch the dogs swim.

But nothing can top watching the little kids in the water. As he said, “If you can see a baby smile without smiling back, there’s something wrong with you.”