Top 5 Hangout Locations in Mount Vernon

Mount Vernon offers a diverse selection of hangouts for teenagers, whether it be getting together for organized events, just to hang out, or for playing video games. However, some locations in Mount Vernon stand out with the student body such as Si Senor, Davis Park, the Mount Vernon Nature Park, Scorz, and the First Street Building.

1. Si Senor is a Mount Vernon student’s favorite place to hang out and get food. Si Senor is a Mexican cuisine sit-in restaurant in Mount Vernon. Si Senor offers a diverse range of Mexican cuisine for an affordable price. “We go out to eat a lot at Mexican restaurants, sometimes when it’s nicer we just walk around. The town is very peaceful so it’s not hard to find your way!” junior Liliana Moffit said. Her go-to favorite is a quesadilla with a side of rice and beans.
  2. Davis Park is another fan favorite among Mount Vernon students. Davis Park features an outdoor pool, a modern playground, volleyball nets, batting cages, restrooms, and a basketball court. Junior Edith Dawson loves going here in the summer. “During the summer it is always fun to go to the pool, though fewer and fewer high schoolers go each year,” Dawson said. Many more students have exclaimed their love for our parks in town.
  3. Another student favorite is Mount Vernon Nature Park. The Mount Vernon Nature Park, The Quarry or Verba Quarry is a nature park built around an old spring-filled Quarry in the Southeast quadrant of Mount Vernon. Nature Park has several amenities, including a picnic area, trails, playgrounds, restrooms, and a dog park. Junior Ellia Oesterle loves going to this park in particular, when asked, she said “Honestly, the best thing to do is go to a park at night. Something about the night just brings more fun! Parks bring back childhood memories and being there with friends to experience it together is even better. Plus at night you can star gaze.”
  4. Scorz is also a fan favorite among students. Scorz is a bar & grill restaurant in uptown Mount Vernon. The building was originally built in 1894, but it was rebuilt in 2008 after it caught fire. When asked, “They have a pretty good pool setup and their food is great,” sophomore Jacob Alger said. Senior Braxton Pitlik, who works there said, “I love the atmosphere, and my coworkers are great, and talkative which makes the job even more enjoyable.”
  5. Lastly, the First Street Building is another student favorite. The First Street Building, or old middle school was one of the first schools for the Mount Vernon School District, and now is a community center. The First Street Building offers several stores, a dance studio, a hair salon, and a weight room. “I’ve had a great experience at the First Street Community Center, especially with my dance classes,” said Junior Violet Olinger. “I spend a lot of time there, and the building always feels comfortable and welcoming. The teachers and other dancers are understanding and supportive, which makes it a really positive environment to be in.”  Other students, such as Rose Pisarik, love to walk around uptown and visit the stores around there when the 10th graders have 8th block
    In conclusion, from great eats to great shopping, Mount Vernon offers great locations to hang out with your friends.