MVL Crushes At Williamsburg Cross Country Meet

The Mount Vernon-Lisbon Cross Country team was at Williamsburg on Tuesday where the Varsity boys placed 3rd and varsity girls placed 2nd. 

Individually for boys varsity, coming fourth in the meet was junior Grady Olberding with a time of 16.17.0. The second runner for MVL, Dawson Scheil, came in 18th with a time of 17.13.8, and coming in 23rd, Klayton Perreault ran a 17.23.8.

The runners arrived at Williamsburg around 4:30 pm. When it was about 40 minutes before it was time to run, the team warmed up together. However between warmup and the start of the race rain had started to downpour, causing the race to be delayed. ¨There were rain drops so big they could have been hail,” Perreault, a senior, said.  Once the downpour stopped the runners headed to the start to prepare for the race.

The temperature during the meet was about 80 degrees, but the recent rainfall made the condition of the course get severely worse. ¨It was rainy, muddy, slippery, and there were big puddles everywhere,¨ Olberding, a junior, said. Even though Olberding placed first of his teammates, this was Olberding’s slowest race of the reason. ¨I wasn’t to surprised the conditions weren’t the best,¨ Olberding said.

The varsity boys team finished in 3rd with a total of 113 points behind Carlisle with 80 points and Pella with 41 points. The varsity girls placed second with a score of 72 only behind Pella who had 42 points.