Junior and Freshman Crewmates Dominate 2022 Powderpuff Game

Abigail Morf

Senior Claire Gaffney lunges forward to stop freshman ball carrier Cali Whitaker on Sept 22 at the powderpuff football game. Whitaker sprinted past Gaffney and made it to the end zone to score a touchdown.

Jensen Meeker

This year’s highly anticipated Powderpuff game took place on Friday, August 22 between the junior and freshman Crewmates, and the senior and sophomore Imposters. The Crewmates took control of the game early and did not let up, winning the game 47-8.

Coming off last year’s loss, the seniors and sophomores were really looking to redeem themselves. “Our team was very determined to win this year after the devastating loss we had last year,” senior Laura Swart said. It became clear pretty quickly that the crewmates had a better gameplan. “The main thing we practiced was run plays,” Crewmates coach Joey Rhomberg said. “We knew we had athletes who could make plays if we got the ball in their hands.” That’s exactly what happened as many players made big contributions to the Crewmates offense.

“I thought Cali Whitaker impacted our team a lot due to her speed,” said freshman Taylor Franck. Whitaker had multiple big plays for the Crewmates along with a few touchdowns and an interception. The Franck twins were also two big contributors for the Crewmates. Taylor herself played a large role on both sides of the field and Courtney played quarterback, facilitating the offense. Both of the twins scored touchdowns in the game. 

Despite the tough competition the Imposters still had some offense of their own. “Lilly See had the biggest impact for our team. She is really fast and ran for a lot of yards.” said Swart. On the defensive side of the game the Imposters Struggled. “They were able to run the ball really well and we couldn’t do much to stop it,” said Swart.