No Eating in Classrooms

Jessica Belding

There’s nothing worse than when you’re in class trying to understand the newfound topic that was introduced, and out of nowhere you hear that “crunch-crunch-crunching” noise. That distracting noise can affect everyone in the classroom, and then at that point, you might as well just get up and leave the class since learning is out of the question now. Eating in classrooms during class time should not be allowed.

There are some exceptions to this, of course. If someone has a medical reason to have to eat when they need to, then that’s completely fine. We don’t want anyone passing out– or worse. 

Firstly, eating is distracting. For students like me who have sensory issues or problems such as misophonia, the sounds from eating are deafening. The smells are sickening. The plastic crinkling is like nails on a chalkboard, but worse. Disorders like misophonia make it completely impossible for someone to focus around those noises and will even cause extreme panic. 

Though many students are responsible and will clean up after themselves, there are some who don’t. Some leave their wrappers all around and crumbs on the ground. Classrooms begin to smell, flies and rats begin to move in, and then no one is having a good time.

Students should be allowed to eat in between classes as they please but during class can cause problems. If a student is really that hungry, they could go into the hallway and leave the door open so they can still hear everything perfectly fine, but aren’t causing problems for anyone else. Many teachers in other schools have already implemented this rule. 

While class is in session, eating should not be allowed. It causes huge distractions for other students and even the teachers. It can also cause a big mess that the janitor will have to end up cleaning, and we know they already have enough to do as is.