Peculiar Instruments At Mount Vernon High School

Caelan Hunter, Journalism

Mollie Snedden and Sierra Synder (Caelan Hunter)
Penelope Vig (Caelan Hunter)

Peculiar Instruments at Mount Vernon High School

Playing musical instruments is a common activity at Mount Vernon High School; whether they are played to be a part of an ensemble, to relieve stress or just for fun.  The school offers lessons for a vast variety of instruments; however, there are students who go out of their way to try instruments that the average student wouldn’t even think of playing.

Sierra Synder plays the piano, trumpet, and the ukulele,an instrument the school doesn’t offer. Synder has played the trumpet since early middle school and likes the environment of playing a trumpet in the band. “ It takes a lot of lung,” said Synder, a sophomore.

Snyder started to play the trumpet when her mom encouraged her to try it, so that is exactly what she did. Synder likes the jazzy tone to the trumpet, especially when she plays Christmas music, which is something she is passionate about. 

Synder has been playing the piano and the ukulele for about four years. She began her piano career when she went to her grandma’s house and started to play it. It took some time, but she was able to teach herself how to play and loved the soft sound of it. Synder took advantage of the relaxing soft sound and put it towards Christmas music which is her favorite type of music to play on the piano. Synder loves to play Christmas music for her grandma. 

Synder began her ukulele career after seeing her sister getting one for her birthday. Synder wanted to try it, so once she got the chance to get her hands on one, she started to teach herself how to play. It was more difficult for her to play than her sister, because she is left handed, but that did not stop her from wanting to play the ukulele. Just like the piano, she enjoys how the instrument has the perfect theme to play certain songs. Synder usually plays the ukulele while she sings, and enjoys how the tropical sound of the instrument goes with her singing. 

Synder recommends to try new things no matter how much you think you wont like it, you should always give it a try, because you may find out that you love it.

Mollie Snedden, a sophomore, currently plays the flute, piccolo, and the ukulele. She has played those instruments for about four years and enjoys the sounds that they make. Snedden describes the flute as being very quiet, but she enjoys how it has a majestic feeling when she is heard. The flute is intended to have a flowy tone to it, which is something Snedden admires.

Snedden’s mom is the one who inspired her to play the flute, as her mom was musical herself and played the clarinet. Snedden also has a drum major in the marching just like her mom did. 

Snedden usually plays the ukulele while she sings and plays it as a solo. She recently played her instrument at the chocolate stroll in uptown Mount Vernon.  

The piccolo is an instrument much like the flute. It is usually black with silver keys and it is made out of wood for the best sound quality. It may only be one octave higher than the flute, but it has a breathtaking voice. Snedden is involved in the concert band where it only needs one piccolo player because of how loud the instrument is. 

Snedden uses the flute as a good resource to practice for concert band, because if she messes up on the piccolo everyone will be able to hear her, whereas on the flute it would be hard to hear mistakes. Snedden describes it as a fun experience because she can be heard the easiest. 

“It is also recommended that you wear earplugs if you will be playing high notes regularly, otherwise it could damage your hearing!” said Snedden. 

Overall Snedden has had a positive experience while playing in the band. “The people in the band are nice. Some music can be frustrating and it just takes time to get it down.”

Penelope Vig, freshman, plays the viola, french horn, piano and the ukulele. Vig has played the piano for eight years, the viola for six years, the french horn for three years, and the ukulele for four years. 

Vig was inspired by her brother to play the piano and the viola since he played them when he was younger, so Vig wanted to try them out. As for the french horn Vig wanted to have a challenge since the french horn is a hard instrument to play. “ I really had my work cut out for me,” said Vig. 

Vig wanted to play the ukulele so she could have something to do outside of school. Since she is a freshman she wants to be as involved in music as much as  possible so she can have all kinds of opportunities for herself in the future. She purposely joined all three music programs so she can get all of the opportunities that she can get. 

“If you want to play an instrument go for it, but if you don’t you should still try it because you might find out that you love the instrument,“ Vig said.

“All three of those young ladies are tremendous musicians and each has a unique gift,” said band instructor Scott Weber.  “All three provide tremendous amounts of excellence and pride to all of the fine arts activities they are involved with.”