Roadway Chaos

Lily Cripe

Lily Cripe

It’s a well known fact that parking is a significant problem at Mount Vernon High School. There are just not enough spaces for everyone to park, resulting in high school students having to park in the lot between the middle school and elementary school or on the only road leading out of the high school parking lot. Unfortunately, while this road might be convenient parking for someone running late, it is not wide enough for a row of parked cars as well as two-way traffic. Chaos erupts at the end of each school day as drivers leave the parking lot and do their best to avoid side-swiping cars. Upon seeing the packed roads, drivers trying to enter the parking lot will back up and take the other way, or in some infuriating cases they will drive on the grass to avoid the traffic. In order to stop this chaos and these rather dangerous conditions, this road should be made a one-way road leading out of the parking lot.

While some may think that banning parking on this road is a better solution, that would only cause more problems. There is almost no extra space at the school district left to park, and students already have a hard enough time trying to find places to park. We need to keep every parking spot we have for the convenience of the student body. Parking is hard enough, as many students have to arrive at least 20 minutes early to guarantee that they can find a spot. By banning parking on this road, students will have to go out of their way to find a place to park, possibly having to park outside of the district just to get to school.

The only reasonable option is to make the road a one-way road. As most of the disorder on this road is due to traffic attempting to go both ways, removing one lane of traffic will solve this stressful problem. Having the road be one-way still allows students to park on the road but it also removes the confusion of people trying to drive both ways.