New Courts and Team Vibe Drive Participation for 2019 Season

Megan+Zobac%2C+junior%2C+prepares+to+defend+a+deep+ball+from+her+South+Tama+opponent+in+a+match+on+April+4.+

Caroline Voss

Megan Zobac, junior, prepares to defend a deep ball from her South Tama opponent in a match on April 4.

Paige Zaruba, Editor

The 2019 tennis season is full of new friendships and new experiences. Fifty-one members of all experience levels joined the team with expectations of lots of fun and positive vibes. The team the previous year had 34 girls participating.

One obvious reason girls joined the team is the new tennis courts built on school property. In previous years, the courts were located farther away and were in unsafe condition. This year’s participants are able to play on brand new courts, as well as have home tennis meets just steps away from the high school.

The vibe of the tennis team is another draw for new participants. Mandy Morrical, junior, is a first year tennis player and has really enjoyed the experience. “I love the girls on the team; they’re so much fun,” said Morrical. The highlight of the sport, to her, is getting to “create new friendships with new people.”

Morrical also enjoys the low-stakes environment of tennis. “Tennis is a really fun sport with no expectations of being good or bad,” said Morrical, “so girls of all skill levels can go out and have a good time.” Mount Vernon tennis is an inclusive club that has gained popularity in the past year.

Junior Megan Zobac is playing in her third season of tennis at Mount Vernon. Zobac has experienced the new courts and the growth of the tennis program.

“I feel like more people joined tennis in the last couple of years because of how laid-back tennis really is,” said Zobac. “My freshman year only around four people went out from my grade and this year so many people have joined.” Zobac adds that a reason for this could be because they all “talked about how fun of a sport tennis is.”