Make the Most of Senior Year

Annie Rhomberg

Make the Most of Senior Year by Annie Rhomberg

By Annie Rhomberg

Senioritis:  A decline in motivation or academic performance that supposedly afflicts some seniors in high school, especially in their last term.

Unfortunately, many seniors fall into the trap of senioritis. Many people take effortless and undemanding classes and quite honestly, stop trying in their senior year. Whatever your future plans may include, the truth is, taking easy classes your senior year will not prepare you for it.

I understand the importance of enjoying senior year, but colleges are not impressed by easy electives and free periods. Believe it or not, colleges look at your class schedule your senior year because they want to see you challenging yourselves. Colleges take a look at your amount of core classes and that takes a part in your RAI score. Step out of your comfort zone and take classes like Speech or Honors Composition, which will  prepare you for your further education. Colleges want the type of student who is ready and motivated to tackle the strenuous tasks that college provides.

Even if college isn’t the path for you, it is extremely important to take advantage of the opportunities given to you in high school. Whether you’re going into the army, into the workforce, or going to college, keeping your mind engaged throughout your senior year helps with an easier transition into your future plans. Explore new topics, take a risk, find what interests you most. Try an art class or take astronomy in attempt to broaden your interests and take advantage of all of the opportunities that are given to you at Mount Vernon High School. This is your last opportunity to have a free education, so why not get the most out of it? A unique feature that Mount Vernon has is that they pay for students to take many different classes at Kirkwood Community College. This is a great opportunity to explore topics and material that is not available through MVHS, and it comes at no cost to you.

MVHS juniors, you have a decision to make. Will you challenge yourself and take advantage of new opportunities next year? Or will you take the easy way and waste the chance to  explore yourself and your interests?