Mother Nature Loves Snow

Lizzy Niehaus

By Lizzy Niehaus

Here in Mount Vernon, moderate to heavy snowfalls have been the model of consistency over the past two months. The Mount Vernon Community School District has had 10 snow days, three early dismissals, and one two-hour delay. These cancellations have had many different effects on the student and staff.

Depending on where you live, the weather will affect you differently. Sophomore Lauren Burkle, lives outside of town. “Most days when we have school and it has been snowing or icing, the roads are still bad because the plow hasn’t been out to my road yet,” said Burkle.

“It’s a lot easier for kids who live in town to get to school because the roads are so much better,” Burkle said. “I think that we need to really take into consideration the kids who don’t live directly in town.”

Some students enjoy snow days, while others don’t.  “I liked them at first because I got to sleep in and watch Netflix,” sophomore Rachel Axtell said. “Now I’m getting sick of them because we have to make them all up.”

During the school year, it is required to have a minimum of 1080 hours of instruction. A full day of school is 6.5 hours, late starts are 4.5, and early releases are 4.33 hours.

As of now, the plan to make up these missed days are as follows: May 30th will be changed to a full day of instruction, this gains us 2.17 hours. May 31st, June third, and June fourth will also be full days of instruction, this will gain us 19.5 more hours. If we continue to lose days of school, the priority plan is to continue to add days in the first week in June, this being June fifth, six, and seventh.

There have been many other last resort options discussed by the school board, hoping that the first plan will be enough.

Logan Kelly
Freshmen enjoy the snow during J-term Jan. 14.