Cramming in High School

Sophomore Natan Ohman studies for finals week. Photo by Jalen McNeal

by Jalen McNeal

In a high schooler’s typical day-to-day schedule either homework, tests or studying are bound to become an issue. Whether it be forgetting about the test tomorrow, or that the five-page essay is supposed to be published by midnight, cramming is something some high schoolers resort to in order to complete something on time.

Cramming can mean different things. It can be looking over a notebook less than a minute before taking an assessment, skimming through pages of a book that was supposed to be read over the weekend or even be writing a paper the night before its due.

There are many reasons as to why students cram or study at inconvenient times. Two of the main ones being procrastination, which most high schoolers are really good at, or because the student had something else going on like a family gathering, athletic event, music competition, or something else to distract them.

According to a recent email survey conducted in November, of the 34 students in grades 9-12 who participated, 64% said they cram and it works for them. For junior Aubrey Frey, studying and cramming comes easily to her. Frey said, “I like to make flashcards or at least write-down everything I need to know on one or two sheets so I have all the information I need in one spot. I also like try to write out my own test and take it to see what I know and what I need to work on. Most students that cram typically cram the night before.

Twenty-one percent of students say they cram but for them, it doesn’t work. “I put my phone in another room and focus on my work,” said Freshman Emily Baker. Baker mentioned she crams often thanks to the numerous assignments given and it doesn’t end up working.

Junior Henry Maddock crams everything the night before. Maddock said It’s easier to remember when he goes to bed after studying and looking over study guides over and over again.

The other 15 percent like Senior Maddie Steen just don’t even cram. “When teachers give me the answers to a test the day before, I memorize the test, and copy it all down the day of,” said Steen. She only does this once every two weeks.

Freshman Jessica Velding doesn’t cram either. In fact, she doesn’t study much at all. Velding said, “ I don’t study, I just remember things.”

Many students said they study after or before school with a teacher so they know what they’re studying is correct, create flashcards throughout the class, and study with groups of friends.

Also recorded in the survey was the subject that students tend to cram the most for, Social Studies, which was 45 percent of the responses. Junior Nate Ohman said, “I cram Social Studies all the time. Most of it’s because of procrastination but I find what’s most important in my notes and study it over and over again either the day of or the night before.

Although many teachers provide helpful ways to study and hand out time efficient homework assignments as a way to prevent this phenomenon but realistically it’s inevitable in high school. The students just need to pass that next test or quiz while keeping a social life and what easier way is there other than cramming the night before.