Homecoming Dress up Days

By Paige Beck

Even though it is not Halloween yet,  students are dressing in costumes. It is a tradition at Mount Vernon High School for students to have dress-up days during the week of the homecoming football game. Students go all out dressing head to toe for the theme of the day.

Student council held a new competition to see who had the best outfit. There were multiple winners for each day, and they each won a gift card somewhere near Mount Vernon.

On Monday, people dressed in their denim outfits. The most common outfit was jeans, paired with a jean jacket. However, some people went as far as wearing jean shirts and denim shoes. The winners of denim day were junior Sara De La Rosa and senior Noah Guillaume. De La Rosa was wearing jeans with a jean jacket and a denim tube top; she even had a choker made out of jeans. Guillaume wore jeans with a long sleeve denim vest. He also had a jean jacket tied around his waist and a hat to go with it.

Tuesday was City vs. Country. “I am going to dress country because I have a flannel, and I live in the country,” said freshman Quinlan Denes. David HermsenWhite, a senior, and Reagan Light, a junior, caught the eyes of student council for City vs.Country day, and they won the prize. HermsenWhite wore a purple velvet suit and had a walking stick to go with it. Light dressed country dressing in some work boots, jean shorts, and a flannel on top of her county fair T-shirt. She was also wearing a hat to go with her outfit.

On Wednesday,  senior Adrienne Hill and sophomore Nelly Morf,  won animal day. Hill dressed as a unicorn, and the student council thought her outfit was very impressive. Her legs were the back legs of the unicorn and had fake legs for the front, thus making it appear like she was riding it. A lot of students were wearing animal onesies, some even had face paint on to match their animal.

Tawnue Tenley and David Wolfe Posing, Picture By Steve Brand

Thursday was gender bender day. Kambree Hultquist, a freshman, said, “I like gender bender day because I thought it was funny to dress up as a guy.” Like Hultquist, a lot of other people liked gender bender day because they had never done anything like it before. The winners for this day were seniors David Wolfe, Noah Exley-Schuman, and Maddie Steen, as well as freshman Michelle Hannah.  Wolfe dressed in a sparkly gold prom dress, and Exley-Schuman had on a pink and black prom dress paired with some heels. Steen wore her hair in a hat updo making it look short and had some khaki shorts on. Hannah also had her hair up in an updo and had on basketball shorts.

Friday was the last dress up day; it was spirit day. Throughout the school students and teachers showed their spirit by wearing the school colors. The cheerleaders dressed up in the vintage uniforms, and Denes said that this was her favorite day because of the uniforms. Mark Liberko, a freshman, was the last winner of the week for the dress-up day competition; he had maroon and white pom poms all over his backpack.

Student council picks the themes for each day. Alina Merlak and Clara Conroy explained that the people in student council do a group vote. To come up with the ideas, they look at websites, past dress up days and take requests from other students. 

Students already have ideas on what student council should do next year. Hultquist mentioned that she would like to have a beach day. Hultquist also said that she would like to do more dress-up days throughout the year. “I really want to have pajama day every other Friday because then you have something to look forward to at the end of the week,” said Hultquist. 
Denes suggested celebrity day.

This year, the dress-up days were a success, and Mount Vernon will continue to do them during homecoming week.