Kolker to Swim at State Meet

By Ben McGuire

Last Saturday junior Zach Kolker swam at the district meet at Linn Mar High School on Feb. 3. Kolker participated in four different events: the medley relay, 100 fly, 500 free, and the 400 relay. All of which qualified for the state meet.

Zack Kolker swimming in the 500 free which he placed second in on Feb. 3 Photo by Ben McGuire
Zach Kolker and his teammates stand on the podium after winning the medley relay on Feb. 3 Photo By Ben McGuire

“I feel really good about how I did,” said Kolker. “I had solid performances in my individuals and our relays placed really well.” Kolker placed 2nd in both of his individual events and both of his relays took home 1st place. These performances helped push Washington to the district title. The Warriors capped off a dominant performance with a 57 point district title win.

Kolker and the Warriors will swim at the state meet in Iowa City this Saturday, Feb. 10. While for many sports the days leading up to the state tournament are filled with vigorous exercise and preparation. However, swimmers days leading up to the state meet are filled with rest. “We’ve stopped having morning practices so we can get a chance to sleep in,” said Kolker. “We’ve also been using tights to increase drag so when we take them we swim faster.”

Of the four event’s Kolker will be swimming on Saturday the one he is most hopeful for is the medley relay. “I’m hoping that we can get top 3 and have the opportunity to set a team record,” said Kolker.

Zach Kolker holds up the “Washington W” before racing the 100 fly. on Feb. 3 Photo By Ben McGuire
Zach Kolker dives into the pool at the start of the 100 fly, which placed second in on Feb. 3 Photo by Ben McGuire