Survey Reveals Favorite Teachers at MVHS

By Zach Kolker

Art teacher Ely Sotillo

In an email survey conducted this semester, students at Mount Vernon High School voted on who their favorite teacher was. One hundred students responded to the survey. Though there are many amazing teachers at this school, these are the top five most liked:

Science teacher Jan Henik

#4 Mr. Sotillo and Mrs. Henik (Tie)

With six percent of the vote, Ely Sotillo takes a tie for fourth place. He is the art teacher at Mount Vernon High School. He teaches Drawing, Painting, Photography, and Ceramics.He helps students get better at what they are doing wrong and helps them learn in the ways that they learn best. Sotillo is best known for riding his skateboard with students. “Mr. Sotillo has inspired me more than any other teacher I have ever had. I found my job path through him,” said senior Ethan Wenz.

Jan Henik is one of the teachers of the science department. She teaches Earth Science and Biology. “She knows how to keep the classroom environment upbeat and interesting, but still manages to make sure we’re staying on task,” said sophomore Haley Hepker, “She tells some great stories too!”

Science teacher Heather Allen

#3 Mrs. Allen

Heather Allen got seven percent of the vote. She teaches Biology and Physical Science. Some of the students’ favorite memories in her class are watching Planet Earth documentaries.  “She’s always there to help!” said senior Mallory Roudabush. “Such a wonderful person to go to when you just want to talk, need homework help or just about anything!”

Band teacher Scott Weber

#2  Mr. Weber

At the number two spot is Scott Weber with 11 percent of the votes. He is the band director of Mount Vernon High School. He directs high school, marching, jazz and  eighth grade band. Although this is only his second year at Mount Vernon he is very well liked. “There are those teachers that impact your life in the biggest ways, and Mr. Weber has helped me find what I’m passionate about,” said Alanah Malone.

#1 Mr. Timm

Taking the gold with 19 percent of the votes is Ed Timm. As many know Timm teaches U.S. History, Political Science and Sports in American Society. He is known for spraying rowdy students and Cubs fans with his squirt bottle. “It’s hard to be stressed in his class when you are laughing hysterically and can’t breathe,“ said senior Wynne Vandersall.