Girls Cross Country Headed to State

Girls XC team holds the banner after the qualifying meet at Solon on Oct. 20.
The girls cross country team holds the banner after the qualifying meet at Solon on Oct. 20. Photo from @MVLCrossCountry.

By Jessie Brokel

Qualifying for the state cross country meet is nothing new for some of the MVLXC girls. At the district meet in Solon on Oct. 20, the girls qualified as a team for the state meet. With five returning runners, and two qualifying individually last year the team knows what to expect.

The team is going into the state meet ranked seventh. 

Returning seniors Shae Banwart and Hayley Corkin ran at the state meet last year.

Hayley Corkin, Maggie Davis, and Aubrey Frey run at the state qualifying meet. Placing first for the Mustangs was Corkin in a time of 20:17. Corkin placed seventh overall. Photo by Ben McGuire.

“Running at the state meet last year showed me how fast paced the race was,” said Banwart. “I feel better prepared for the higher level of competition with my experience.”

This is Corkin’s fourth time running at Fort Dodge. “I’ve gotten to know the course really well, and know that it’s the fastest and hardest race of the season from running it previous years,” she said.

Senior Maggie Davis has only been on the team for one season, but is already competing at state. “I think our team has an opportunity to do really well on Saturday if we run hard and decide to be mentally tough,” said Davis. “I hope to run my best, do my job for my team, and be a competitor.”

The state meet is held in Fort Dodge on Oct. 29 at the Lakeside Municipal Golf Course. A sendoff for the team will be at 2 p.m. Friday in the high school commons. 

Faith Anton placed 10th at the district meet in a time of 20:32.
Faith Anton placed 10th at the district meet in a time of 20:32. Photo by Ben McGuire.
Shae Banwart and Quinnie Rodman run at the district meet Oct. 20.
Shae Banwart and Quinnie Rodman run at the district meet Oct. 20. Photo by Ben McGuire.