We Need One to One

By Russell Rentfro-
One to one technology has its benefits and its disadvantages. Students who do not have access to technology at all times are at a disadvantage in today’s educational world. With the option of turning homework in online and communication with teachers through email, not having a computer can deteriorate a student’s education.

The availability of resources that having a laptop for every student would provide far outweighs the cost. Students would be able to get more done because they would be able to get to work faster. When teachers assign research assignments, they often require internet references. Under the current system, if two teachers require the mobile laptop lab, one will not be able to use it. If every student had their own laptop, this would not be an issue, and the students would be able to get to work as soon as the teacher asked them to.

With electronic textbooks, nobody would have to pay to repair damaged books because they would not need to worry about an e-book getting lost. E-books are more convenient than hard copy textbooks because they will not be damaged by careless students. Students would benefit from the ability to reference their textbooks at any time if they had the ability to pull it up on a computer screen and do a search for whatever they needed.

The cost of a computer is declining, and students do not need a top of the line laptop to do homework, email, or research. In most cases, all the student would need is a small cheap netbook without a DVD drive. These are small, energy efficient, and cost very little. In fact, a netbook can cost as little as $200, while the average college student spends over $900 every year on textbooks.

The benefits far outweigh the disadvantages. Students and teachers alike would benefit from this transition, and students would be able to get more done quicker than they do now.

Cartoon by Russell Rentfro