Spotlight on Micah Russell

By Rebecca S. Stephenson-
The crowd cheers at a Mount Vernon High School football game as the varsity players take the field. Senior Micah Russell is part of the Mount Vernon football team. He likes to play sports, sing, and help his family around the house with cooking. Micah said they’ll “cook about anything.”

Micah Russell has not always lived in Mount Vernon. Micah was adopted from Texas by his parents Brad and Amy Russell when he was three months old. “My mom and dad wanted to give kids the opportunity to have a family instead of being orphans, so they adopted us,” said Micah.

Micah is the second youngest of 11 kids that the Russells adopted. Micah said that living in a house with 11 other siblings there was “a lot of commotion, energy, and movement. It was pretty nice. You don’t get lonely. There is always someone there in the house.”

Micah’s dad, Brad Russell, said, “Our family is very active. Everyone needs to help out to make a large family work,” he said. “You need to work hard and do your best to give glory to God in all things.”

Micah said that he and his brothers, Zach and Drew, and his sister, Shea, were adopted in the States. “After that my parents went to Africa and started adopting from there.”

The Russells like to spend time together. Micah said they play sports all the time at home. They enjoy playing soccer, football, basketball, and wrestling. Micah’s dad said he likes to “go to Micah’s sporting events” and he and Micah like to “go out to eat and watch football and movies.” Micah said that his family also enjoys going camping together and going to the Packers football game as a family. Micah also played on the same soccer team as his brothers, Henok and Eyasu. “It’s better and more fun having siblings on the team,” said Micah.

All but three of the Russell kids, Micah, Henok, and Seth, have left home. Micah’s dad said with most of the kids out of the house, “activities are less.” He said he misses the “kid’s events: brothers playing like crazy in the backyard, big family trips, and working together on projects.” Micah said that his siblings come back to visit and they keep in touch on Facebook. He also said he sees some of them when they are reffing soccer games.

Mount Vernon senior Jacob Timm and Micah have been friends since kindergarten. Jacob is Micah’s teammate in football and basketball. Jacob said, “For such a big guy Micah is very laid back. He’s gentle, he really cares about people’s feelings, and he cares how people respect him.” Jacob and Micah are in choir together and they go to the same church. “It’s unique,” said Jacob. “You don’t see a lot of parents adopting 11 kids.” Jacob added, “It’s also unique that they are all so different in age. Their parents raised them all the same and they raised them all very well.”

Micah said that he doesn’t have any natural siblings that he knows of but that his family’s bonds are just as strong as everyone else’s. “I don’t really think about it at all,” said Micah. “I just think of it as my brothers and sisters.”

Micah’s dad said, “Micah does chores prior to breakfast, helps run errands, and drives his little brother to practice.” He said, “Micah likes to watch football and basketball. Plus he is good about doing his homework.”

Micah said that adoption is a great thing and that it gives kids the opportunity to have a family. He said that being adopted has also given him the opportunity to do school activities and be in a safer environment. Micah said it is possible that one day he might adopt kids of his own. His advice for people who are considering adoption is, “Go into it with a positive heart and know that you are giving kids the opportunity to have a family.”

Micah said, “A family is people who love one another and depend on each other to get through life and help out.”

Micah (back row, far right) poses with his family.