Open Campus at Mount Vernon High School? I Think Yes

Opinion by Lauren Kephart

Having open campus at MVHS has its pros and cons. In my opinion, the pros greatly outweigh the cons. Instilling this policy would support neighboring businesses, teach responsibility, and allow more freedom for students.

“I think that having open campus at Mount Vernon would be very beneficial,” said junior Hadley Anderson. “It would give students the opportunity to experience college or job real world situations, as well as help neighboring businesses thrive.” Businesses like Dairy Queen, Skillet, or Subway would greatly benefit from attaining open campus at Mount Vernon. Many of these businesses have donated to help the school, and this is one way we could show our gratitude.

There also seems to be a growing demand for open campus since Mount Vernon has implemented block days. “With hour long block lunches, it would be really nice to have open campus,” said sophomore Jillian McGuire. “It would improve the high school experience overall.”

Having open campus would teach responsibility, because students would be responsible for returning to school on time for their next class. Overall, I think having open campus at MVHS would improve student’s experiences, and help support the community.