Lights for Lights

By Paige Zaruba

Christmas is traditionally celebrated on Dec. 25, but this year, the Mount Vernon community is celebrating on Oct. 7 in support of Marsha Light and her family.

Marsha is very involved with the community. Her husband Vance is the varsity wrestling coach for Mount Vernon High School, and she is commonly referred to as the “wrestling mom.” “Marsha is a big part of the wrestling team because of all of the support she gives the wrestlers during the season and outside of it,” said senior wrestler Ryan Clark. “She truly cares about the health and well-being of every wrestler.”

Marsha was diagnosed with breast cancer 12 years ago, just after the birth of her youngest of three kids. The Mount Vernon community continues to stand with her as she fights it.

Oct. 7 is a big day filled with Christmas festivities. Community members are putting up their Christmas Lights early and lighting them up. After visiting her mom’s house for the afternoon, Marsha will return to the town and see the lights around the community. Other festivities include a layer of snow in her yard, community members carolling, Christmas cards, and two hours of Christmas music on the KDAT 104.5 radio station from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. 

One Mission, a local fundraiser brand, is selling various options of shirts where 40 percent of the total purchase is donated to Marsha’s fund for her family. The link to purchase apparel and donate is https://onemission.fund/support/marsha-light/

Correction: An earlier version of the story said that there would be one hour of music on KDAT Oct. 7.  

Senior Tyler Elliott and Jeremy Elliott, father, put up their Christmas lights on Sept. 23 in preparation for Lights for Lights. Photo by Dave Ryan.